Skip to main content

Perkins 6 354

More
15 years 3 months ago #6135 by Sarge
Perkins 6 354 was created by Sarge
I hope someone can tell me what should be the "Normal" governed rev rate of my Perkins 6.354. There is nothing on the tacho to indicate any limit, she runs along at about 2400 without bits falling off, but I am more familiar with the old 1800 rpm gardiner or ditto my tractor.

Any ideas????? :-/ :-?

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #6136 by
Replied by on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
Sounds about right for that motor, it should march along all day and night at about 2100.

If your worried about it being set too high, just ring up a joint that repairs diesel pumps and query what the factory settings should be.

As for being used to what the Gardiner was ticking over at, well, better forget about what that slow ole revin' thingy ever did.

Comparing those two, is like chalk and cheese.

regards greenie

More
15 years 3 months ago #6137 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
2400 to 2800 sounds like a perkins in truck spec ..id be sitting closer to the 2400 though & just ride the "massive" torque curve

15 years 3 months ago #6138 by
Replied by on topic Re: Perkins 6 354

2400 to 2800 sounds like a perkins in truck spec ..id be sitting closer to the 2400 though & just ride the "massive" torque curve ;D ;D ;D

Hey Kenny, you tryin' to get a job as a comedian ? ;)

regards greenie

More
15 years 3 months ago #6139 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
Gday Sarge,
they were rated 120hp @2800 and will do more than that downhill.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6140 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
yes the trusty old perkins they are suprisingly quick when they go downhill .. on a serious note they do last a long time as long as you have a long time to get somewhere .. a few years ago i was in Newcastle with my old Leyland mastiff (540ci V8 perkins powered)i got talking to another truckie and he just drove up from Melbourne and for him its a overnite trip ... for me it was virtually a 2 day trip :(

More
15 years 3 months ago #6141 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
Thanks gentlemen,
I had hopes when I bought her that the old girl might get along a bit as it had a later one piece diff to others that I had seen, at a shade over 2500 rpm without any fuss the speedo is steady at 60mph.

And should you need to know it, I tested the road twice, it is definitely down hill from Maryborough to Bendigo by around 8 MPH

Pete I take it the 2800 rating is factory max revs. I have not had those numbers on her dial nor expect to.

Sarge B)

More
15 years 3 months ago #6142 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
Gday Sarge,
Have found a spec sheet that lists max power at 2800 max governed speed of 3000, max torque at 1450 and idle at 525. In practice I doubt there would be anything to be gained by taking it beyond 2500. Also an older engine may need a few more rpms to idle correctly.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6143 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
:) The injector pump should have the plate on it with the revs . The Mark 4 was 3030 rpm and some early ones were 2800 but the governor should stop you over reving. Podge :)

More
15 years 3 months ago #6144 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Perkins 6 354
thanks Guys, 2500 rpm & 58 mph will do fine.

I have not spotted any ratings on the pump Podge, but I havent had the specs on for a close look either.

It still idles quite quickly and will drop a fraction with a slight presure on the pedal, I have re positioned the throttle arm on the pump and put in a long soft spring which makes all that work much better & new fuel cut the smoke.

We will get there.

Sarge B)

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds