Skip to main content

Help a VOLVO

15 years 4 months ago #6258 by
Replied by on topic Re: Help a VOLVO

Swihy you need to back off about Lucas or i might have to tell everyone oabout those air leaking KW's ;D :-X Dave

Ah-ha, but at least you can HEAR the air leaks, then you got a fightin' chance of fixin' 'em.

Now, electric problems caused by Lucas, is a totally different ball game.

No matter how often you seek, you shall hardly ever find that bloody fault.

regards greenie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 4 months ago #6259 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Help a VOLVO
SMore

-: Electrical Theory :-
by Joseph Lucas

Positive ground depends upon proper circuit functioning, the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation of electrical energy known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working. The popular notion that electricity is invisible, is therefore intrinsically wrong. The proper statement is that electricity SHOULD be invisible. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. When, for example, the smoke escapes from an electrical component (i.e., say, a Lucas voltage regulator), it will be observed that the component stops working. The function of the wiring harness is to carry the smoke from one device to another; when the wiring harness "springs a leak", and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterwards. Contrary to popular belief, smoke is stored in the accumulator (incorrectly referred to as a battery in off-shore documentation), and not in the component or wiring itself. Starter motors were for long frowned upon in British Automobiles, largely because they consume large quantities of smoke, requiring very large wires. It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage (smoking) than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers and hydraulic forks and disk brakes leak fluid, British tyres leak air... so, naturally, British electrics leak smoke. Such is the natural order of things. From the basic concept of electrical transmission of energy in the form of smoke, and a better understanding of the mysteries of electrical components, especially those of Lucas manufacture, is gained by the casual user once the above is fully understood. The more knowledgeable ones amongst you will likely want to point out the different colours of smoke. Let me assure you this phenomena is subject to the exact same laws as is the normal black smoke.

LOL
cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 4 months ago #6260 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Help a VOLVO
Swish,
it is quite clear (now the smoke has gone) that all Pete now needs to do is re start the smoke. :-/ :-/

Being a blacksmith he should be real good at that.

I love the smell of scorched vinyl and plastic, coated in wetting agent.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
15 years 4 months ago #6261 by Blacksmithpete
Replied by Blacksmithpete on topic Re: Help a VOLVO
Dave Thanx for the info

Swishy I think Ill put your explanation of how electical systems work on the insurance form and see what they have to say
This might explain why it use to blow smoke when I was driving (had an electrical fault)

Might go try sucking on a piece of elictrical cable see if it is just like having a smoke

Pete

More
15 years 4 months ago #6262 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Help a VOLVO
Loved the Lucas "history" post, Swish.

Sorry to hear about your issues, Pete (the burning Volvo, not your other issues... ;D). Hope there's an easy solution even if it involves a fair bit of elbow grease.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.440 seconds