Skip to main content

ACCO power ??

More
15 years 2 months ago #6999 by atkipete
ACCO power ?? was created by atkipete
Here is a great story about an operator up Queensland way using a bogie drive Butterbox to pull a roadtrain. nqr.farmonline.com.au/news/state/agribus...099.aspx?storypage=0
Dont try this at home cos the the CCM of the V8 Butterbox was only about 30 ton. Noel Herrod went on to buy the big 10x6 Atkinson shown on the front cover of my book, which i think was the first tri drive truck in OZ.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #7000 by
Replied by on topic Re: ACCO power ??
I've got a copy of the Inter Sales Catalogue from 1969, but it doesn't list the V8 Cummins powered, ACCO 1950 or 2050's in the Butterbox .. only the 1840's (with the 6-354 & the 392) .. the F1800, and the DCF-400's and 402's.
I thought they were available by then, but obviously not. They must not have appeared, until the new, forward-mount-cab Butterboxes arrived.
The 1840's had a GCM of 56,000 lbs, no matter what powered them (due to the standard, round tube, 34,000lb back ends, most likely).
The 6V-53 powered F1800's were 70,000 lbs GCM (woo-hoo!! ;D ) .. and the DCF-402's were 125,000 lbs GCW.

The 1950 and 2050 had the bigger 38,000 lb Rockwell square tube back ends, from memory, and they were probably rated at 70,000 lbs, same as the Jimmy-powered F1800's.
Regardless, you could never say any of the Butterboxes were a road train PM .. regardless of how much you thought of Inters .. ;D

More
15 years 2 months ago #7001 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: ACCO power ??
would of loved to see a 6.354 perkins or a 345/392 V8 up front of a road train . . i did see a bogie butterbox perkins powered carrying a D6 dozer on the hume a few years ago . . im glad i was going the otherway

More
15 years 2 months ago #7002 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: ACCO power ??
I think that V185 Cummins came out in late 68, have an ACCO brochure from 1970 that lists it. Dodge also offered it for a while. 185 hp ( alleged ) @ 3300 rpm and 328ft lbs at 1900 rpm. Not road train material.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 2 months ago #7003 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: ACCO power ??

Have seen a Blue n Black Butter Box with sleeper
poke n around Melb with tri SemiTrailer

(Make mental note 2 self: Must grab pic of the beast)

would Imagine tiz just the Butterbox ACCO cab monted on sum respectable chassis

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 2 months ago #7004 by atkipete
Have seen that one and I spoke to the owner when I was writing the ACCO book. It seems to be a "bitza" particularly the aerodyne sleeper.

More
15 years 2 months ago #7005 by aussie l plate
Replied by aussie l plate on topic Re: ACCO power ??
about 4 to 5 years ago, there was a bloke up in sydney, that had an old butterbox acco, with areodyne roof and bunk on it.
from memeroyi think he was towing a linfox trailer doing local. i have not seen him for a while now

More
15 years 2 months ago #7006 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: ACCO power ??

I've got a copy of the Inter Sales Catalogue from 1969, but it doesn't list the V8 Cummins powered, ACCO 1950 or 2050's in the Butterbox .. only the 1840's (with the 6-354 & the 392) .. the F1800, and the DCF-400's and 402's.
I thought they were available by then, but obviously not. They must not have appeared, until the new, forward-mount-cab Butterboxes arrived.
The 1840's had a GCM of 56,000 lbs, no matter what powered them (due to the standard, round tube, 34,000lb back ends, most likely).
The 6V-53 powered F1800's were 70,000 lbs GCM (woo-hoo!! ;D ) .. and the DCF-402's were 125,000 lbs GCW. The 1950 and 2050 had the bigger 38,000 lb Rockwell square tube back ends, from memory, and they were probably rated at 70,000 lbs, same as the Jimmy-powered F1800's. Regardless, you could never say any of the Butterboxes were a road train PM .. regardless of how much you thought of Inters .. ;D

Onetrack,

Have you got a scanner??? I would really like to see the sales catalogue! Ping me offline if you want my email address for sending it to!

Joe

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #7007 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: ACCO power ??
Being an ACCO owner I fancied a sleeper cab, but this one on e bay a while ago was at the wrong time.... can recall some of these doing the roads years ago. Not a plush high rise but better than sleeping across the seats. And a bit short to pretend it was on Road Train work.

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Sarge.

More
15 years 2 months ago #7008 by atkipete
The original butterbox sleeper was made by Cooks of Moorabbin and was the same height as the rest of the cab, they may have used ex factory panels to extend it. It was offered as an option for a couple of years but not very common. There is a photo on page 31 of my ACCO book.

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds