Skip to main content

McGRATH TRAILERS AND COMPANY HISTORY.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84970 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
McGRATH TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS, J.J. McGRATH ( AUSTRALIA ),
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TRAILER COMPANY, AS I AM WRITING A SHORT HISTORY, AND I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO LOCATE THE OLDEST McGRATH TRAILER IN AUSTRALIA, BY TRAILER NUMBER PLATE.
BILL RONALD, MOBILE 0417 345 141, RING YOU BACK.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84968 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HELLO ALL,
I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION, POSSIBLE CONTACTS AND PHOTOS, TO ASSIST ME TO FINISH WRITING A SHORT HISTORY OF THE FAMOUS McGRATH TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS, BUILT BY JOHN McGRATH, AUSTRALIA'S PIONEER TRAILER BUILDER AND DESIGNER, ALSO TRAILER NUMBERS,
BILL RONALD, MOBILE 0417 345 141, RING YOU BACK.

11 years 9 months ago #84969 by
Bill

Welcome to the forum

Take the caps lock off as in computer land it means you are yelling.
Also you only need to post a question in one section not 3.

What is your history with McGrath trailers, hence your interest.

There was a topic on hear a while back regarding McGrath's

Trevor

More
11 years 9 months ago #84971 by hayseed

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
11 years 9 months ago #84972 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
Hi All,
The history of the Mcgrath Trailer Company began around 1925, and finished around 1984, I am compiling a short History for publication in Vintage truck Magazines. I am mainly concentrating on the first 20 years of operation in Melbourne, after that maybe a second part to the History can be researched to cover the 60's and 70's until the company finished in 1984.
I am also very interested to locate the oldest McGrath Trailer or Semi- Trailer in Australia, that has it's original McGrath Trailer, individual cast iron number plate still attached.Thank you for any assistance. Bill.

More
11 years 9 months ago #84973 by murranji
contact Spencer Grammer at haulmark trailers in brisbane he was involved with them earlier on in the 50's- 60's before started haulmark with noel buntine. steve

1979 mack r600 685 rs 1978 r700 797 rs

More
11 years 9 months ago #84974 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,

Thank you steve, i have sent an e-mail to Haulmark , and am awaiting a reply, sounds like a great lead.

I HAVE TO SAY, MY SEARCH FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE McGRATH COMPANY AND IT'S TRAILERS, IS NOT PROVING TO BE VERY SUCCESSFUL.

I am also trying to locate the oldest Mcgrath trailer in Australia, so far, not one trailer number has been forwarded to me, BUT I LOOK FORWARD TO MORE REPLY'S. BILL.

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #84975 by
g'day HORNSBY- AKROYD and welcome to the forum .. possibly go through some old trader magazines (deals on wheels, just trucks etc) as there has been some weird and wonderful gear for sale over the years in these mags ...

although being a fairly laborious way of doing things, follow up the phone numbers of a prospective lead, or leads on some of these old things that have been advertised, as it can lead to some surprising outcomes and your ''network'' starts to open up if you remain dogged and diligent

it's an ''obscure'' enough project you have embarked on and that should possibly capture peoples imaginations....

all the best and cheers

More
11 years 9 months ago #84976 by Buc
Hey there H-A,

Here be a lead on a McGrath Trailer that might get ya some info. :-/ :-/

McGrath 2 X 1 Stock Crate
Bogie axle trailer, 35

More
11 years 9 months ago #84977 by mammoth
Ivan Tarrant is a current employee of the Maxicube group in melbourne. He was with Freighter until Maxicube swallowed it up but he could tell you the story of the shenanigans that the Mcgrath and Freighter business dealings had between them from about 1948 on.
I don't know about the id plates being cast iron, only ones I have seen are cast in Aluminium and then pressed steel.
Mitch on this Forum - his dad bumped into an old fella in Brisbane who was an ex employee of McGrath and had a note book full of chassis numbers but unfortunately lost contact.
What does a pre war McGrath look like? We need pictures so we know what to look for.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds