Skip to main content

Which do you prefer ?

More
15 years 2 months ago #7208 by huckleberry
Hi All,

I'm looking to restore a suitable truck to use daily, picking up livestock, supplies and the odd lond distance travel. With costs, reliability, ease of repair and availability of parts, which truck do the more experienced prefer ?
Thanks for your vote.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #7209 by kennymopar2
for the reliability these trucks are getting old ..the 698 diesel which is often fitted to the leyland boxer suffers from leaking O rings also most are geared for 80km/h top speed .. the D series ford dont offer much comfort but it depends on which motor is between the chassis rails for reliabilty ..Bedfords ive never had one . . . the last "old" truck ive had was a late 70s 8 ton acco it was reliable and had good comfort for the longer trips ..i just done a northern QLd return trip in my UD (total 3700kms) fuel bill just under $1900 my "old" acco done the same trip last year for $1300

More
15 years 2 months ago #7210 by huckleberry
Thanks Kenny ;)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 2 months ago #7211 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Which do you prefer ?

Huck
GuddayM8

Wot U do'nt mention
How much weight U wanna cart
How long the puse strings
How much time U got for a DIY to personalize the beast for your requirements

ifn a few dollars available
u could pic a KW or Mack etc
old n reliable th@ is now downgraded from big work to your type work

JistMy2CentsWorth(TaxFree0fCouse)

cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 2 months ago #7212 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Which do you prefer ?
Huck, I am with Swishy... sorta, there are a lot of downgraded big rigs that would be very capable for your requirments, including Benz, Volvo, ACCO etc. Parts availability in your area will be worth considering, the three trucks you have nominated should cost you around $2000 drive away in ok condition, the bigger units might go for nearer $8000 and the yanky stuff $10,000 plus, but you will probably get what you pay for. :-[

Good luck
Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 2 months ago #7213 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Which do you prefer ?
Dunno anything about this beast
jist shows wots available @ 4500 bikies
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=20132519&S=ISS&wmin=truckhub

DealsOnWheels
www.truckhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?...D=3030036&TabID=3443

cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #7214 by huppypuppy
Get ya greedy mitts off that one, Swish! Because it has a Detroit Diesel 6-71 in it, it's mine! ;D - only joking, mate! I would say they are selling it as a restore project! She would pass as a classic in NSW now!

Joe
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by huppypuppy.

More
15 years 2 months ago #7215 by huckleberry
O.k.

I'd carry up to 6 tonne at any given time.
I'd like to travel at 100 kms per hour with ease on a level road. At least one 3000 km round trip per year. Carting Brahman cattle and stock feed.
HR license.
I'd like to do the repairs myself (easy to service)
Reliable, easy and relatively inexpensive to find parts.
Sorry but I'm racist......non japanese. (Even tho. they perform and rust well) My father was an interstate driver for many years and would haunt me if I bought one.I have fond memories of Leyland, Bedford and Internationals as he drove milk tankers. (Pauls in Brisbane)(Kenworths and Western Stars only in later years ) Previous he drove logging trucks without brakes and carried ammunition for the yanks during the war.;D
Great truck driver but the worst driver in the world in a car. He kept forgetting what vehicle he was in and was a laugh a minute at round abouts. ;D
Purse...............around $10 000 for a vehicle I can restore. Willing to pull apart repair and paint myself.
I prefer older models late 60's to 70's. It's the first time I've owned a truck, but I have driven a few Mitsubishi Work vehicles. (Regular)
Thanks
Cheers

15 years 2 months ago #7216 by
Replied by on topic Re: Which do you prefer ?
You know Joe i which you just get a truck instead of boring us with all those wannbe dreams .

The truck for Huck is a TK there 100's of farmers out who use them and have made lot of money out of them just go to a cattle sale near you and have look what most farmers are driving and the answer will there . Dave

More
15 years 2 months ago #7217 by huckleberry
Thanks Dave but they all drive Japanese and Indonesian. ;D

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds