Skip to main content

Old hydralic adjusted suspension

More
15 years 1 day ago - 15 years 1 day ago #8101 by werkhorse
Anyone know anything about this type of suspension ??? this has been parked at my bosses place for years now but I've never really had a good look at it till last weekend. oh BTW it's been converted to a slaughterhouse not pretty inside I can tell you.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 15 years 1 day ago by werkhorse.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 1 day ago #8102 by Swishy

Werk
GuddayM8
Twaz all the go way back when
LOL
Freighter made th@ set up
twaz the antz pantz
cos U could have a close bogie or a wide spread bogie for the@ xtra loading n suspension all hooked together by pipes for easy sliding the suspension
LOL

ButEyeDO........................................
cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 1 day ago - 15 years 1 day ago #8103 by werkhorse
cool but what about the hydralic ram's that adjust the height of the trailer ???how common was that ???

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 15 years 1 day ago by werkhorse.

• Swishy
More
15 years 1 day ago #8104 by Swishy

Well the height is adjustable (limited)
But the main feature twaz able to link suspensions between axles via Hydralics much the same they do today with air bags
all dun with plumbing
as one axle goes up, the hyd pressure is then tranfered from th@ axle to the the next axle instead of haveing a beam or spring as a link
cya

[ch9787]

More
15 years 1 day ago #8105 by werkhorse
ahhh i see i thought it was only for height adjustment

Geez

15 years 19 hours ago #8106 by
Hi Werkhorse, go have a real good look at a DRAKE 4 row of 8 extendable swingwing low loader and check out the HYDRAULIC suspension on them heavy jiggers. The suspension worked totally on the fluid and the ride was needless to say, ROUGH, now the pan has just had springs fitted in there to soften it a bit, but it will still equalize and distribute the weight evenly, between the two axles on the pan.

regards greenie

• Swishy
More
15 years 17 hours ago #8107 by Swishy

Didja no
FWIW
TH@ for many many years, airbag suspensions got it all rong

"Wot U talkn bout" Sez U

twaz the go way back when, to not have air bag suspension fitted to any hi center of gravity loads etc Cattle trucks, Swing n meat vans etc
Main reason they were all plumbed up rong n would/could easy fall over thru normal driveing
all followed the same plumbing procedure of connecting the air bags across the axle
so when U went round a bend, the loaded side of the axle would take more air n the opposite side would also take the same amount of air in bag n actually lift the body n make it a very unstable vehicle

then sum one suggested that if U plumb each side seperatley the trailer air bag B cums more stable so from then on each side of air bag trailers R plumbed longitudinally n not across the axles

Also heard of a tanker driver fully loaded travelling along the same rd for many years got to no th@ B for hitting an 'S' bend in the rd he'd give it a little flick to the left n right to get the air suspension set so to take the said 'S' bend with maxium safe speed but have also heard to view this procedure from a rear vehicle following twas a heart stopping moment for fear of the beast wanting to flop over

LOL

ButEyeDo............................

cya

[ch9787]

More
14 years 11 months ago #8108 by GM Diesel
Hey Swishy, This hydraulic suspension...Would it go really pearshaped if you sprung a leak while your loaded going along or would it just settle on its stops and you would have no load sharing ?
Be fiddly getting all the air out to I d reckon.
From your description it works on Pascals law of hydraulics - pressure is equal and undiminished in all directions.
Thats my smarty pants for the day :D

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

14 years 11 months ago #8109 by
Basil, any hydraulic suspension that springs a leak, will just go down till ithe hydraulic rams hit the bottom, but, with the springs in this set-up, then they will still work, just NO axle/load equalizing, that's all.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Swishy
More
14 years 11 months ago #8110 by Swishy

Just az
sez
{He'z Been around)

can remember way back when
a local joker getn into heavy haulage
bought a new freighter LowLoader
tandem it twaz
n the suspension was the hydraulic (as above)
when loaded the suspension crossmembers sat dowen n buried it self in the ground
LOL
but Drake LowLoader Hyd suspension I use n thoroughly recommend them
3 x 8 Rsend of float gross legal load 49t on 6 hyd rams about 5" diameter
cya

cya

[ch9787]

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds