Skip to main content

Gascoyne Trading...

More
11 years 5 months ago #96520 by Ozfury
Replied by Ozfury on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Hi Detective, just did a little research.. michelin created the truck radial in 1946, and the tubeless truck tyre in 1960. I can't remember seeing too many tubeless tyres in the early 70's, certainly Dad's old jiggers didn't have them, he bought a new Ovlov in 1978 and it still had tubes. Running nylons on the steer was common as radials on the steer were considered "wandery", probably in reality just stuffed front ends! Lots of tubeless tyres around in the late 70's though.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
11 years 5 months ago #96521 by
Replied by on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
As Detective said Alcoa had a tubeless rim available in USA in the 1950's,I'm not sure of any Budd tubeless rims of the same era....
Cheers James.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96522 by Mr T
Replied by Mr T on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...

2426 Mercs.

G'day,

if you go to the Battye library and look at the Westrail archives, you will find a tonne of images of GT's 2624s in various situations, particularly at WAGR's/Westrail's railyard, getting ready for piggy-back, load transfer, etc (as well as the odd Swan Brewery truck, especially their TKs).

If memory serves me correctly, there are also some images of a couple of GT's 2624s together with WAGR's (lone?) 2620 involved with the odd rolling stock transfer, etc. From what I can gather about the 2620, is that it was an export-only model.

Regarding the 2624s, I was also told that they were delivered as day-cabs, but were then converted locally as sleepers, similarly with their earlier NGs/V-Series, I think...

Here is one I found on Flikr and I acknowledge the original author's copyrights (Keltez):

A far cry from their "Ploddin' Fodens".

Cheers!

More
11 years 5 months ago #96523 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...

the mail truck

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 5 months ago #96524 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...

G`day
Great photos of Gassy`s S21 Micky mouse Fodens,helps me with mine--- as the cab I got for mine is ex Gascoynes [as it shows Gascoynes paint and the hole for spotlight under the trapical roof]
Questions
Did Gascoynes have any S21 8 wheel Prime movers-- or 8 wheel S21 ridgid tray Without the sleeper---My cab could have had sleeper removed at sometime-- as the back of the cab has been butchered around a bit.

My chassis was originally a Pommy Blue Circle cement pressure tanker --as I have the original build sheets for the chassis no.---how the old girl got to OZ I still have not found out
It had been fitted with an S40 cab when I got it---it was rat s-it so when an original cab turned up I scrapped it .
It has 180 Gardner and also RTO 915

Oldbob70

PS has anybody got a lead on the red Plastic strip insert in thedecorative strip and the kite emblem-- all mine have turned black with sunburn.

Hi Oldbob70,

For the plastic strip insert and kite emblem try John Sanderson here in England, E-mail chocolatefoden@hotmail.co.uk or telephone 00 44 (0)1477-500386. He has lots of other old Foden spares as well.

• Topic Author
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96525 by

2426 Mercs.

G'day,

if you go to the Battye library and look at the Westrail archives, you will find a tonne of images of GT's 2624s in various situations, particularly at WAGR's/Westrail's railyard, getting ready for piggy-back, load transfer, etc (as well as the odd Swan Brewery truck, especially their TKs).

If memory serves me correctly, there are also some images of a couple of GT's 2624s together with WAGR's (lone?) 2620 involved with the odd rolling stock transfer, etc. From what I can gather about the 2620, is that it was an export-only model.

Regarding the 2624s, I was also told that they were delivered as day-cabs, but were then converted locally as sleepers, similarly with their earlier NGs/V-Series, I think...

Here is one I found on Flikr and I acknowledge the original author's copyrights (Keltez):

A far cry from their "Ploddin' Fodens".

Cheers!

yeah .. you are right Mr T.. the sleeper cab benz's always had the high roof if they were a factory job, and the conversions from the day cabs were always noticeable by the ''flat'' roof, and a 2624 benz could be a long nose conventional or a suitably specced cabover....

...all the same those benz's were a great old truck any which way you look at it......cheers

More
11 years 5 months ago #96526 by oldbob70
Replied by oldbob70 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Thank`s 8 pot --- will try him
Oldbob70

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96527 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
2620/23/24 are bonneted (L,LA,LS,LK,LAK),OM 355 powered,ZF 12sp ex factory although a lot got 15sp R/Rs during their lives.

2223/24 are cab over (LP,LPS,LPK) same mechanicals but couldn't be easily converted to R/R because..........

Both models used twin drive shafts to the bogie but a 26 series has a single gearbox output that is split via an independant transfer case while the 22 series has twin gearbox output using a special divider box (ZF) bolted directly to the back of the box.
The transfer case in the 26s could also supply front wheel drive as required (LA)

A factory sleeper on any bonneted Benz is very rare in Aust.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by cemeNTepede.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96528 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Great old pics and topic he..
Cement i remember Dad telling me that those benzes were a mongrel thing because of the twin tail shaft setup. It does sound like a crazy idea, but gascoynes obviously got them working ok.
From memory the ZF box had that rotten "backwards" pattern too, that was a real bast**d when you were tired and forgot which way to shift at a corner etc...
Dad had two sleeper cab 1418's, carting cars to Brisbane. One was a bogie or lazy axle (and may in fact have been a 24 series?) it was red and white, and may have even been an ex Gascoynes truck. I was only a young feller so don't remember more than that.
The other sleeper cab one I've put up here before, it was a low roof 1418, bloody ugly and rough truck but did a fantastic job from my memory.

Here it is again, just cos I can!!

Not sure if it was factory sleeper or not though..

• Topic Author
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96529 by
g'day cemeNTepede and all .. my blue on the cabover designations regarding capacities, and was only referring to the cabovers when it came to the integrated sleeper arrangement :-[ :-[ :) :) :)

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds