Skip to main content

Gascoyne Trading...

More
11 years 5 months ago #96540 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Slightly off topic but I notice the trailer on the train is tied down with turnbuckles and springs, anyone know why they did this? I put my car on the train once and I remember them roping it down and using a stick to tension the rope.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96541 by FatBob103
Replied by FatBob103 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...

Fatbob Reply #2
Story I read- Charles Kingsford Smith started Gascoyne Transport.
Rgds
Tired Iron :) :)

Check this out - a bit long winded but it was indeed Charles Kingsford Smith with Keith Anderson (of Kookabuura fame) who started Gassies. They started it so that they could raise enough money to buy a plane.

www.roadtransporthall.com/yesterdays-workhorses/1264-foden.html

Life is to short to drink cheap wine.  On the other hand I plan to live forever - So far so goo

More
11 years 5 months ago #96542 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Just reading some of the other makers stories.....geez someone needs to do some fact checking..... :-? :-?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 5 months ago #96543 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Onetrack wrote a good history on Kingsford Smith and Anderson, I thought they kicked off in the Murchison region of WA.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96544 by bigcam
Do you mean on the RTHOF site Werk?

Just reading some of the other makers stories.....geez someone needs to do some fact checking..... :-? :-?

More
11 years 4 months ago #96545 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Yeah Cam .... There are some wildly inaccurate statements in quite a few of those stories

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 4 months ago #96546 by bigcam
I would agree Werk. I've got a stories from the road book here that came with another book I bought. Considering the book is meant to be about the challenges and achievments of Australia's road transport heroe's, you'd have thought they could have either sent a draft of what they were writing to the companies involved, or maybe invested a little time and money in a phone call. There are mistakes all through it. One beauty is the story about Redline Coach Services from Tasmania..... with the title photo one of Rex Law's Redline Coaches from Queensland, though it is amazing what seems to be the lack of research put into what is quality looking book.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96547 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
The old Merc looks a bit battered,with the usual front panel damage from tilting cab with bullbar up.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96548 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...

Hey Detective, the Bellways truck in the back ground, did you get any happy snaps of that? And if you did, was it an SAR? Only reason I ask is another forum member has an ex-Bellways SAR and I'm sure he would love to see a pic of what it looked like when it was new.

Pretty easy what they looked like,everything on the cab baby blue and every thing on the chassis poo brown.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96549 by Mr T
Replied by Mr T on topic Re: Gascoyne Trading...
Would anyone have more info on the 2632 Mercs operated by Gascoynes, e.g. were they naturally aspirated V10s, were the narrow cab type, what year, etc?

Image credit: wob2007, with thanks.

Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds