Skip to main content

want to get a truck licence, need advice.

More
14 years 10 months ago #8672 by atkipete
You can probably manage to get your licence in a day but there is a huge amount to learn from then on. Ideally you should go out with a experienced driver for at least the first week. Every vehicle is s a bit different, you need to learn about loading it correctly and driving according to the road ahead.
I have been driving trucks for about 15 years and still learning.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #8673 by Andy Wright
I agree with all of the above, especially what Pete just said. It's possible to get a license in a day but I don't think you'll learn all you need to. As JB says, you really have to get the feel of something that is a lot bigger and therefore takes more work to get up to speed and stop. You have to think as quick as a car driver (because you have the share the road with the idiots) but remember your vehicle takes longer to do everything. Take your time and plan well ahead.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
14 years 10 months ago #8674 by fieldsmark

i had my hr licence and wanted to get my hc and went to the above company $spent $1200 and didnt get it he was a goose.i meen i had my hr for 10 years no accidents ,but went to canberra and got it i one day with a great instuctor,shop around is a must,goodluck adrian

A good instructor should mean a lot. I understand. thank you

More
14 years 10 months ago #8675 by fieldsmark

You can probably manage to get your licence in a day but there is a huge amount to learn from then on. Ideally you should go out with a experienced driver for at least the first week. Every vehicle is s a bit different, you need to learn about loading it correctly and driving according to the road ahead.
I have been driving trucks for about 15 years and still learning.

Yes, indeed. there are many trucks on the road and sure, they are not similar. I guess I will have to learn while I work. thanks for that!

More
14 years 10 months ago #8676 by fieldsmark

I agree with all of the above, especially what Pete just said. It's possible to get a license in a day but I don't think you'll learn all you need to. As JB says, you really have to get the feel of something that is a lot bigger and therefore takes more work to get up to speed and stop. You have to think as quick as a car driver (because you have the share the road with the idiots) but remember your vehicle takes longer to do everything. Take your time and plan well ahead.

Agree, but where else can I learn except learning while working. It is quite expensive to rent an instructor and truck for learning driving.

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #8677 by Andy Wright
It is expensive but that's how many of us have earned our licence. You seem to have your head screwed on as you're happy to ask questions first so you don't go into things blind. Nothing beats working for a learning curve. Driving is one of those things that is relatively straight-forward to learn but can take ages to truly master.

Go for it!

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
14 years 10 months ago #8678 by fieldsmark

It is expensive but that's how many of us have earned our licence. You seem to have your head screwed on as you're happy to ask questions first so you don't go into things blind. Nothing beats working for a learning curve. Driving is one of those things that is relatively straight-forward to learn but can take ages to truly master.

Go for it!

thank you for support, mate!

14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #8679 by
One thing you must always consider is that the licence makes you legal to learn. ;D You don't really learn to drive a truck until you get behind the wheel solo. Nothing beats experience. Unfortunately you need the licence before you get experience! :)

Go for it! And don't hesitate to ask questions from your instructor. Of course I'm positive if you have questions we have plenty of very experienced drivers on the forum happy to share their experiences.

More
14 years 10 months ago #8680 by fieldsmark

One thing you must always consider is that the licence makes you legal to learn. ;D You don't really learn to drive a truck until you get behind the wheel solo. Nothing beats experience. Unfortunately you need the licence before you get experience! :)

Go for it! And don't hesitate to ask questions from your instructor. Of course I'm positive if you have questions we have plenty of very experienced drivers on the forum happy to share their experiences.

thank, mate! the next thing I will be asking you guys is how to get a job without having an experience, once I get the licence! :)

More
14 years 10 months ago - 14 years 10 months ago #8681 by monty
Might just have to work for noting for a while ask someone if you can drive empty/ offside of with another driver some time till you get some more experience, any way that's what i intend on doing, each Saturday for a few months once i finishing painting the backend of my truck untill i have some more cash to start on the front.

i work in an office so i have no hope in getting experience, i can say i can drive a mack with a 5 speed. heheh

hope thats an idea.

-Monty ;)
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by monty.

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds