Skip to main content

Kenworth/VDO speedo LCD odometer display

More
11 years 1 month ago #108777 by tim
A few months ago the LCD( Liquid Crystal Display) odometer display started to play up with the display flashing, disappearing, then it would be fine for a while & then it began to disappear for longer periods until it stopped working altogether.Needing to be able to fill out a National Driver Work Diary for a couple of runs soon I figured it needed my undivided attention soon. I was in contact with a gent in South Australia who described all my symptoms to a tee, he then said the magic words"send me some money & I'll send you the fix" Well I sent the loot & waited a few days & along came a cd mailer package in the post. Opened it up, there was a DVD & an LCD. Watched the Dvd, removed the speedo from the dash & dismantled it as per the Dvd, removed the LCD, installed the new one, reassembled the speedo as instructed, refitted the speedo, hooked up the wiring, turned the ignition on & wowee, it worked. The Odometer showing the correct mileage reading too. Time taken for the fix was about 30 minutes. Cost of the LCD & the DVD, including postage was $90 dollars. Not sure what other trucks use the electronic VDO speedo & if they suffer from the same problems but thought it may be of interest to others. Dexterious fingers would be helpful, don't need the bull at a gate feeling. If anyone's interested i can give you the gent's phone number. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #108778 by werkhorse
The kw LCD displays have a habit of doing that and our man here in town said it is more likely to happen the more you have your dash lights on .... Something to do with the heat drying the joints/connections out.

Had both the bosses SAR and the 104 done .....oh and the Speedo remembers the milage even if the display don't show it

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by werkhorse.

11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #108779 by
Timmy

Well done now you will know how far over the speed limit you are or how far from woop woop you are. LOL

Trevor

More
11 years 1 month ago #108780 by paul404
Gday Tim, i would like to know more about this as the fleet i work for has heaps of odometers and hour meters fading in and out.
Thanks paul

More
11 years 1 month ago #108781 by tim
Hi Paul, I'll pm you with the guys phone number & hopefully he will be able to help you out. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
11 years 1 month ago #108782 by paul404
Thanks Tim :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #108783 by Middleton Diesel
weve had that drama a lot lately but have found it happens with damper weather. ever since its been raining buckets up here in Qld a few of my customers have had this drama with their kenworths. Theres a mob in Toowoomba that replaces the LCD for the same $90

More
6 years 10 months ago #183307 by Brainsmoke
Hey Tim, I see this post away back . Do you remember if the DVD was necessary ... I ordered a new LCD but get the feeling its not a straightforward fit?

More
6 years 10 months ago #183561 by Brainsmoke
Anyone else able to shed any light on the procedure to fit an LCD? :unsure:

More
6 years 10 months ago #183611 by shiney005
The same thing is happening to the VDO speedo in my Inter. Do you order an LCD from VDO or are they a generic item?

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds