Skip to main content

1942 Federal Crane Truck

More
5 years 3 months ago #199037 by Trevor
The following post re. an Ebay auction of a "1942 Federal Crane Truck" was made by "geoffb" on this Forum back in March 2011;

"Came across this on Ebay may of interest
cgi.ebay.com.au/1942-Federal-Crane-Truck...&hash=item41575cc981"

Does anyone one remember looking at it or bidding on it?

Any information on this auction gratefully appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #199038 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Swishy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 years 3 months ago #199039 by Trevor
Replied by Trevor on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
Thanks Swishy.

I know about that truck. It is a Federal 604, but they never had a crane on the back, so I think the auction must have referred to another type of Federal.

Trevor

More
5 years 3 months ago #199047 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
Looks like that ones go a tree growing in the back...........ive seen a few Federals with backender cranes.......the motor and box make a good counterweight.....Dale barnard had on with a hyd backeneder,was supposed to lift and walk with 10 ton..........it was sold in his clearing sale a few years back,some guy from Belgium bought it,then paid dale to take the crane off.........went for scrap ........anyhoo ,the truck was supposed to be shipped to Belgium ,but wouldnt fit in a container................then the guy in Belgium decided he just needed the chassis rails..............thats a few years ago,and theres now a townhouse project on the land...........in fact they didnt have much time to go in the end.......they were out by 9am,the excavator was waiting,and the whole place was in heaps by the afternoon.......and clear ground by the weekend.Now all houses.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199113 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
There are some pictures and a video of the inertia starter of Jeff Lakasczyck's Federal here: forums.justoldtrucks.com/140668/ATCA-3rd...Winter-National-Show
He also has a second one with the crane on it, and is going to make one out of the two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound

More
5 years 2 months ago #199121 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
Thanks for posting those images and the video of the inertia starter being operated. I have only ever seen them on aircraft engine in the past so this is something new to me.
Cheers John

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199125 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
There was a thread here a couple of years ago with an Army Federal prime mover in Sydney during the war with the inertia starter.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199138 by allan
Replied by allan on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
Seems to be more effective than some I remember on 2 stroke motor mowers!

More
5 years 2 months ago #199155 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
I have seen rope starters, recoil, crank handle driving a chain directly to the engine and impact starters (wind up a spring and push down on the handle) but not an inertia starter on a mower. What one had inertia?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199158 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1942 Federal Crane Truck
With an imertia starter you wind up a small flywheel to very high revs,and as soon as you stop winding ,a dog moves in and connects with a crank dog,and the motor turns over.........they were just about standard on US Navy carrier based airplanes ....and Im sure you have seen a sailor winding a handle into the side of a radial aero engine........From memory the first of the US AAC wreckers had inertia starters ,the pre war trucks .The motor was a Hercules FXB or FXE of about 850 -900 cubic inch,not a diesel.....but als0 would have had a electric starter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds