Skip to main content

Flxible Clippers Melbourne - Canberra - Sydney

More
9 years 1 month ago #156344 by Roderick Smith
From BCSV.
The Flxible Clipper Club is organising a 3 day event to celebrate the first Pioneer Express service from Melbourne to Sydney, which was on 29.3.1955. It will begin with a display of Flxible Clippers at Essendon Fields House from 10am to 2pm. Then, in convoy, the Clippers will set off for an overnight stop at Wangaratta. On Mon.30.3, they will travel to Canberra for another overnight stop (Albury pause ~11.00) and then on Tues.31.3 to the outskirts of Sydney.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #156345 by geoffb
Hope some one gets some photos love those things
(the Gm ones) more so

More
9 years 1 month ago #156346 by jimbo51

More
9 years 1 month ago #156347 by Mrsmackpaul
Well just got off the phone from my Dad he went over for a look he reckons it was great mind you he is a clipper nut so he may have clipper vision

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #156348 by bparo
Saw one heading west on the Western Ring Road in Melbourne as I was heading towards the Hume this morning. Unfortunately by the time I saw it going the other way (I was heading towards the Hume) it was too late to do anything :(
It did look good though :)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by bparo.

More
9 years 1 month ago #156349 by Roderick Smith
I was there, and rode to Benalla. The convoy was ~10 Clippers, plus some other classics. Photos tomorrow. It was a great day, run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 1 month ago #156350 by Roderick Smith
Essendon Fields (ie Essendon Airport, Melbourne, Vic.). Ten Flxible Clippers and an MCI7. Sun.29.3.15. (Roderick Smith)
I only ever got to nine Clippers when counting the convoy, and one had joined after the start, so two must have been present only for the display.
There were a few others out of frame to the right: Silver Eagle, another MCI7, an International restored by Benders, a mid 1950s GM.
I was with the BCSV group, guests of Driver Brothers. I returned by VLine from Benalla; the rally was overnighting at Wangaratta, then Canberra, then dispersing at Narellan. Many will continue to an Easter rally at Coonabarrabran, with 65 Clipps expected to attend.

Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 1 month ago #156351 by Roderick Smith
150329Su Essendon Fields (ie Essendon Airport, Melbourne, Vic.). Flxible Clipper fleet leaving the carpark for a ceremonial lap before heading to the Hume. Sun.29.3.15. (Roderick Smith) This view shows the leading eight Clippers, taken through the windscreen of the ninth. Behind were a few more-modern types, including an Eagle. The convoy cruised comfortably at 90 km/h once on the Hume. We well bunched, and didn't go via Pretty Sally. Photos ahead were possible when we diverted via Seymour and then via Euroa.

Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 1 month ago #156352 by Scummy
Saw some this afternoon on the northern road at luddenham at 3.30pm , north bound past our yard . Very impressive site as they shot past us . 8-)

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #156353 by Roderick Smith
Euroa (Vic.). Eight of the nine Flxible Clippers on day 1 of a Melbourne - Wangaratta - Canberra - Sydney rally, marking the 60th anniversary of Pioneer Express services. Sun.29.3.15. (Roderick Smith) The ninth was at the rear of the line, but closer to the kerb and hidden by the eighth. The more-modern buses (only two here?) parked ahead.

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith.

Time to create page: 0.603 seconds