Skip to main content

Old vehicles and prostate

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #147506 by Lang
This is a bit of an ad but I think relevant.

Next week Carl Neilsen and I are setting out on a 5 week, 6,000km around-Queensland trip to raise both awareness of men's health, particularly prostate cancer, and to raise funds for the training of Men's Health nurses. In Queensland there are 94 nurses trained in Womens' Health, particularly breast cancer, while for men and prostate cancer there is one!

Carl is driving a 1924 Dodge Utility and I will be driving my 1942 Dodge Army Carryall (2014 = 100 years of Dodge)

We are working with Qld Health, Bendigo Bank and various other supporters but our main partners are the Freemason Lodges who are holding functions and receptions along the way. There are a couple of places that collector truck and car outings are being organised for our arrival.

We are leaving Brisbane next Wednesday and heading west as far as Augathella then up to Longreach and Emerald to Atherton Tabeland before Cairns and wandering south again to Brisbane. If anyone would like to come and say hello, please do so (and bring your old truck or vintage car). It will be well publicised in the local media giving times and places.

If it goes as well as expected we are thinking about a national tour next year as Queenslanders are not alone in neglect of mens' health support.

We will be doing daily blogs with photos etc.

www.manupqld.com.au

and for those who understand Facebook there is a direct link on that site for you.

Lang
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #147507 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Old vehicles and prostate
Good on you Lang & Carl, too many of us blokes seem to put off going to the Doctor unless it's really something sore or broken. Hope you have a good trip & that it raises awareness & some badly needed funds. Have a safe trip, Cheers Tim. ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
9 years 9 months ago #147508 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Old vehicles and prostate
Thanks.

We did a similar one three years ago in a 1915 Willys Overland and it was a roaring success.

[IMG

More
9 years 9 months ago #147509 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Old vehicles and prostate
Thanks for doing it and raising public awareness.

I hope you have a safe and successful journey and look forward to seeing the stories

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 9 months ago #147510 by mammoth
Better bring the written up one down to the Climbing New England event in November as I have just read the Armidale club have nominated prostate cancer as the beneficiary charity.

More
9 years 9 months ago #147511 by Snaws2
Well done great work you are doing raising awareness.

Don't think prostrate cancer is an old mans disease I was 45 when I was diagnosed with it.
I had surgery and things are looking good 1 year down the track
I am lucky others not so lucky

Next time your are the doctors ask for a blood test or if you have any problems get it checked out don't put it off

Ross

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog

More
9 years 9 months ago #147512 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Old vehicles and prostate
Ross,

Carl, my mate on the trip, was 39 when diagnosed and had the full removal deal.

One of the most powerful tools on the trip is my wife, Bev. In the country areas, blokes are not willing to do anything unless it hurts bad. Bev talks to the wives while the blokes are looking at the vehicles and convinces them that if they want to keep their men they should "force" them to get a check-up.

We had several feedback thank yous from the last trip saying these doctors visits under duress had disclosed totally unexpected prostate cancer.

We flatter ourselves that we may have saved a few lives.

Lang

More
9 years 9 months ago #147513 by busntruck
Great work Carl and Lang, I hope it goes well. :)

Good the hear the Armidale club have picked this as their charity to. 8-)

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
9 years 9 months ago #147514 by Roderick Smith
There is a non-intrusive test available now.
For people of the generation most feeding most preservation and most technical groups:
'Born to be mild':
<
;
and with different lyrics:
<
;

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

9 years 9 months ago #147515 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old vehicles and prostate
...good work Lang and Co .. my younger brother has recently succumbed to it, and my older brother has managed to somehow pull through it....both Mum and Dad died of bowel cancer years ago..

....it's a bloody game of ''hit and miss'' this terrible stuff....all the very best with your efforts to enlighten the community to this shocking killer.......

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds