Skip to main content

International AACO 4X4 Truck

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
2 years 8 months ago #224969 by Anonymous
International AACO 4X4 Truck was created by Anonymous
Hi,
I have been looking for a small 4X4 truck to replace my HQ 1-Tonner as it's unusable in the paddocks during winter or wet days even. I had a quick look at an International AACO 4X4 with a petrol motor. The cab is very rusty, but it does come with a spare cab that has some rust, but not beyond saving and it has a hoist fitted to the tray. The owner that I have known for years said that everything was working when it was parked in his yard about 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work any more including the brakes. I'm not sure exactly what model it is, but he advertised it as 1960. However, the corners of the panels at the front are rounded rather than square, so it might be a later model, but I don't mind.

Does anyone have any idea what these trucks are worth and if there are parts available to be able to restore one. Since the Army has used these for many years, I presume that they are pretty good stuff when operating correctly. I am also open to suggestions of another historical style small 4X4 trucks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224973 by Mrsmackpaul
Simon I cant really answer any of your questions until I get a idea of just how big or small this is
The smallest ACCO's were a 410a 4x4, the biggest was a full size job with a Perkins diesel

The Army ones seemed to be everywhere for many years but slowly they are getting thin on the ground, I dont think the Army ones are worth a huge amount
Army ones were all petrol as far as I know, as were most of the civilian trucks as well

Rust is going to be your biggest issue followed by would you believe motor parts for the IH petrols

Wish I could be of more help but with what little information you have provided it's pretty hard

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 8 months ago #224980 by JOHN.K.
An ACCO 4x4 ....called Mk3 or Mk4 ,depending ,is a lot bigger than a I ton Holden..............parts are available ,but not off Iveco........actually some are ,if you know the numbers .......id pay scrap price for a rusty one that wasnt driveable........transport costs today are astronomical,so get a quote on moving it.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224984 by 180wannabe
We bought a Mk3 4x4 about 25 years ago and set it up as a boomspray, with a 66' rear mount boom and 3400L tank.

The truck had 2 piece windscreen, mesh grille, and single headlights, the chassis number was #770, and i think it was a 1964 model.

It had a 6 cylinder 281/282 petrol, 5 speed main gearbox, 2H/4H/N/4L transfer box, and PTO to drive the winch. We removed the winch to reduce overall weight, and used the PTO to drive a hydraulic pump. I think 4H was selected by an air valve on the range lever, that pushed a pin in/out on the side of the transfer box, allowing the selection of 4H to be made. The pin used to stick occasionally and not allow selection. It was on single 12.00x20 tyres. It had air over hydraulic brakes that worked very well, with a spring booster fitted to apply the parkbrake. The air compressor was air cooled.

The universal joints were a bit light, but other than that it did the job well. No power steering, but it wasn't overly heavy to steer, and it drove nicely. We averaged to spray 21 acres on a gallon of petrol.

I think it depends a lot on what you need it for. If you need a 4x4 truck, it would do the job, but i would consider looking at a slightly later bonneted model instead. Much easier to work on, probably easier to source/adapt parts for (including cab repair), and a lot easier to get in and out of. As JOHN.K mentioned these are a lot bigger than a Holden 1 tonner. If you just need a decent size 4x4, i would perhaps consider something less heavy, and more common.

Hope this is of some help.

Brett.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224987 by JOHN.K.
Biggest fault for a farmtruck would be height .....if you are happy working off the deck of a semi,then it will be OK ......Although ,if offroad ,you could fit smaller wheels and duals ,which would stick out a bit ...say 9.00x20s ......10 stud pattern can use current tubeless rims OFFROAD.

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
2 years 8 months ago #225020 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck
Thanks everyone for your replies.

180wannabe has hit the nail on the head in identifying the truck I'm talking about. It's an Australian Army Cab Over 2 1/2 tone beastie, MK III probably, with a tip tray (Gross would be just less than 4.5T). The motor is indeed petrol and I believe that it should be an AGD282. Yes it is higher than a HQ 1 Tonner which sometimes wouldn't be a bad thing. Some kind person smashed the windscreen to pieces in my ute a while ago when it was parked in town and it needs to have major work done to some rust around the bottom of the windscreen before a new one is fitted, so my flat tray isn't perfect either and the panel beater owner of the AACO is interested in my 1 Tonner. He advertised the truck for $3000 a while ago. We have a few acres and a small farming business, so a 4X4 would be handy and a bit bigger capacity might be useful to be able to cart my Nuffield 342 tractor around. Due to the limited use that I would get from the 1 Tonner around the farm, I haven't been keen to spend a heap of money on it getting the windscreen replaced and resprayed etc.

I have wanted another old truck for a long time. I had a 1952 International AR-110 at one time, but plans changed and I ended up selling it. I would really like a Federal 604, but the chances of getting one of those and having it as a useful piece of gear is pretty remote. I have a !953 Hi-Lite side valve Morris Minor in the shed too waiting for me to restore it. Anyway, I would like an old truck so that I can tick it off my list. I have been offered a lengthened HJ47 Landcruiser that would probably be a better proposition for regular use, but that wouldn't quite have the same charisma.

Thanks again.

Simon

More
2 years 8 months ago #225025 by 600Dodge
Didn't Morries go to OHV in 52?

More
2 years 8 months ago #225030 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck

Didn't Morries go to OHV in 52?
The MM and Series ll overlapped during 1952 and 1953.

• Anonymous
  • Topic Author
2 years 8 months ago #225032 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic International AACO 4X4 Truck
600Dodge, yes, Morris started using the 803cc Austin A30 OHV engine about 1952/1953. Mine is a two door sedan with headlights in the guards like the Series II, but it has a side-valve engine and a side-valve style gearbox. Maybe it was built in 1952, but it's an Australian built Morris Minor Series MM. Really needs a different engine though and it won't be an 803cc 30HP one. :)

Simon

More
2 years 8 months ago #225036 by 600Dodge
My mate has a commodore V6 in one of his, entertaining to say the least.

Moderators: Sargehayseedjimbo51
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds