Skip to main content

K Model Bedford Correct Headlight Lenses

More
10 years 1 month ago #139530 by Pierre
Hi fellow listers, can any of our Bedford experts advise me as to which is the correct headlight lens for a 1953 K Model. See attached photos. The R/H driver's side has more curvature & has both horizontal & vertical lines in the glass. Th L/H side is flatter with just vertical lines.
My guess is the lines are used to diffuse the beam & the driver's side lens looks a little more modern.
Over to the experts. Either way I'll be hunting for a lens to match & will post under "Where do I get it".
cheers
Pierre
http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/peterjdavey/library/

Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #139531 by Pierre
Sorry photos didn't come across from photo bucket.Do you insert [img) before & after pasting the photo bucket link?
thanks
Pierre[img][/img]

Pierre

More
10 years 1 month ago #139532 by Beaver
There used to be a requirement that the RH lamp had to focus its beam slightly to the left, and the LH beam could shine straight ahead. This was to reduce glare to oncoming vehicles. This was often achieved by the fluting of the lens as you have described.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
10 years 1 month ago #139533 by asw120

Sorry photos didn't come across from photo bucket.Do you insert [img) before & after pasting the photo bucket link?
thanks
Pierre[img][/img]

The link goes between the two img's exactly as they are above.

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 1 month ago #139534 by mammoth
I suspect that the flat lens is very early and the other one from the end of production run, probably a replacement for one that got broken. Not enough candles in those old lights to worry much about where the light went. But if you were to upgrade the electrics and wack in some halogen bulbs you would have to make sure you weren't dazzling oncoming traffic.

More
10 years 1 month ago #139535 by Pierre
s1357.photobucket.com/user/peterjdavey/l...85904837317460135842

Thanks Mammoth & ASW120, makes sense.
Trying again with the photobucket link.
R
Pierre

Pierre

More
10 years 1 month ago #139536 by truckit
Pierre,

The lens on the left photo with both horizontal & vertical lines is the earlier one, 1947 through to 1950,
The one on the right photo with just vertical lines is 1950 to 1953, K, M & O models.
If the grill has a Bedford badge on the R/H top side and with a chrome middle strip going from top to bottom, this is an indication that it is a 1947 to 1950.

IDSTBC

Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

More
10 years 1 month ago #139537 by Pierre
Hi Truckit, no I have no chrome on the radiator grill or Bedford badge on the top R/H side. I do have the Griffen Badge for the top centre though.

My engine # is 260485H & Chassis is K2-258981 & the only reference I have on Build dates shows engine # 226329 at the start of 1952, so calculating approx build volumes my engine # would be late 1953.

But as they say on this forum, I stand to be corrected.

If you have any data to confirm this let me know.
The "dot" etchings on the window glass seem to verify this as well.

cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
10 years 1 month ago #139538 by truckit
Hi Pierre,

Your pretty well right on being a 1953, I will check engine and chassis numbers and it could be late 52 or early 53. No doubt it is a 12 volt system.

Charlie.

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

More
10 years 1 month ago #139539 by cam245
Hi There,

Here is a pic of the lights on the 48 "M" truck I'm doing at present
[IMG

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds