Skip to main content

Ford D1210, what’s your thoughts??

More
1 year 3 months ago #242772 by Urchy87
Hey all,

The F250 I’m working on is almost complete for its first iteration and will likely stay that way for a bit. I have a 1985 Celica to sort out next but it will be swiftly sorted.

So what’s next…… I know of this Ford D1210 which the owner is interested in moving on.

What’s your thoughts on the D1210, are they worth saving? Undoubtably it would be slow, but how about reliability and all that stuff which actually matters. I’ve been looking for a ‘toy hauler’ for a bit of fun. Perhaps this could fill those shoes. They aren’t pretty but I think it would grow on me.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Urchy87

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242779 by hayseed
Prodrive is the Man to give you an Honest opinion on D series Fords...LOL

I had a Couple, they were OK ..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Urchy87, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242783 by JOHN.K.
The pommy Fords were good honest trucks ........Id imagine it has a 365 or 380 slant motor ,five speed box and Eaton #3 diff ............later ones had the german suitcase box ,could be either 6speed or 4x 2 in the same casing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Urchy87, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242787 by Tacho
I had a single drive tipper and traytop together in the past, one 380 cu in with 4 x 2 box and the other 265 turbo with 5 spd and 2 spd diff. Both did the job with little problem. Diff ratio is important to get reasonable road speed without revving high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 3 months ago #242789 by mammoth
Like the lookalike Bedford TK these were everywhere back in the day and consequently have been considered too ordinary by restorers and now getting a bit rare. If Petrol it would be expensive to run but if Diesel it is a very good prospect and the trailer looks light enough to make a good match. The orange paint suggests it may be ex road authority. Very easy to work on and should be plenty of spares/donors around.
GO FOR IT!

More
1 year 3 months ago #242791 by 180wannabe
Looks like it has got air over hydraulic brakes. My neighbor has maybe a bit smaller model (it is petrol), and i reckon that has got air assisted hydraulic brakes.

My neighbor's truck, along with one with a cherry picker on it we hired once when building a shed, are the only two i have ever had anything to do with. They both seemed quite user friendly. The neighbor pulled a 4 wheel dog trailer with his for harvest.

Brett.

More
1 year 3 months ago #242793 by JOHN.K.
I d rather spend all day in a D series than the Inter 180s everyone seems to go crazy over............,they have a good tilt cab,fluid easily accesible behind little doors .........but check for rust in the pillars and roof join to cab .

More
1 year 3 months ago #242799 by cobbadog
A mates Dad had a couple of single axle Ford tippers that looked like this one in diesel. One day they traded them in for same thing but bogie drive. They had rag tyres on them back then and firts thing in the morning after sitting over night the tyres would have slight flat spots so made a slight noise until they warmed up. It was the noise that alerted the dog down the street that Arthur was on his way and for years the dog cam running out and would bite at the back wheel. Well that was until day one of the bogie drive got him. So the dog got tossed in the back then later loaded with clay for the brickworks. Some where i n Sydney a dog is in the bricks.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mairjimmy, Urchy87

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #242802 by Urchy87
Cheers lads. Sounds like it would at least be worth a look then. I can’t find much information on them so I assumed they weren’t too popular these days. He did tell me why it was parked but it was a few years ago now so that information has dissolved.

Other than pillar and roof rust, is there any other points of concern which would lead to a financial blow out? From the comments I’m not suspecting that to be the case. If the price was right I’d be willing to take a punt anyway, well, accept rust, I don’t do rust.

Cobbadog, that would have been quite the secret.

Adventure before Dementia.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Urchy87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 3 months ago #242803 by hayseed
I think It might Be petrol Powered, That looks like a Vacuum Brake trailer Handpiece to My Old Eyes...!!
But happy to be corrected.

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/37283

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds