Skip to main content

Can we have a Discussion About the forum .

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153412 by Mairjimmy
We have this Rodders, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

And this for a good thread [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 3 months ago #153413 by wouldyou
I enjoy looking at event photos and have put thank you's up if a slow response, however if others have done so I leave it at that, so thanks to all posters your effort is appreciated.
Cheers David.
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153414 by Bobsboy

Colin and Ian

Very interesting reading.

Maybe its time to turn off the search engines and make the forum no log in no see.
That way everyone could see who's looking.

Edit: just had a look 32 guests and 11 search engines. 3 members logged in.

Trevor

Hi,

So what's the problem?
Not enough (Forum) Members logged in at any one time or to many "Guests" just reading and "ripping of the system" or the 11 search engines doing what ever the heck it is they do?

We sign in, contribute, get responses (or not), share information with each other, create or participate in a conversation, learn something new or are reminded of something we forgot we already knew, provide an answer or opinion, follow someone else's project. . .
It's all good.

Edit: Today, 18.30 - There is no minimum number of contributions that Any Forum Member has to make in Any given time frame. It's not a contest.
Nor do I for one, always Logon to read.

Ianoz original thought was in regards to YaBB 2.2.1 and the server's ability to host bulk photo's.

Then the numbers analysis brought up the ratio of active (Forum) Members contributors to the number of (Forum) Members that didn't.

Earlier on, someone made a deeper analysis of the (Forum) Members that have ever only made a few contributions and then dropped off the planet for ever more.

Some of those would only have come on-line to try and sell us something and left.
Or tried it and found it not to their taste or need.
And, as we should all know, some are sleepers that only rise from the dead to cause trouble.
(Anyone still wondering why the Moderators now have to vet "New Members"?)

Of the 1/3 that roland pointed out have NEVER posted, well some people will sign up for anything, do you have Fly By's?

So, excuse me for asking, but
What are we discussing now?

This Topic has been one of the best long term discussion I have personally ever seen on this Forum. It is starting to wobble a bit now and perhaps should be locked while it is still good, so that we can all look back on it one day, and point out that this is where it all turned around and became good all the time.

-b
:-X

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Bobsboy.
More
9 years 3 months ago #153415 by dno

Of the 1/3 that roland pointed out have NEVER posted, well some people will sign up for anything, maybe they didn't realise they could be "Guest" and read all they wanted at any time of their choosing.

I'm sure you'll find that a number of those that sign up and never post may be checking if the site has a members only section that may not be visible to guests.

Those that may have an issue with member numbers and the number of non posting
need to understand that those numbers can be handy if looking for financial backing
in the future.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
More
9 years 3 months ago #153416 by Wilweld
Hi everyone,

I would just like to offer up a possibility, with all the talk of members online versus guests online, that many people are like myself- regular readers of the forum that only log in when they have a contribution to make.

I'm sure that if you looked at my history here you would see that sometimes a long time goes by without logging in, but when I do I hope that what I post is constructive or useful or at least relevant to the topic at hand.

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)
More
9 years 3 months ago #153417 by hayseed

Again, looking across all of the hobbies and forums, nearly all have dropped significantly in posting volume over the last 2 years. I suspect information overload, and people have run out of time. All groups have lots of lurkers: they aren't in a position to post; they are there to learn. Facebook picked a winning technique with its 'like' button. Posters get the satisfaction of knowing that their post has been appreciated, without the thread being clogged with 'Thanks for posting that' messages. One other php has a 'Thanks' button too.
Facebook is useless for archiving and searching, and gets clogged with junk, even in closed groups with moderators.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick, as usual.
A Clear concise summation of the whole situation...Thank you..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
9 years 3 months ago #153418 by
I would like to say if subject had started in the members only section most of you would not have got a say as it is only seen by HCVCAust members. Dave
More
9 years 3 months ago #153419 by IHScout
I think this topic has had a god run now and there has been lots of useful discussion and feedback. So it might be a good point to close the discussion now while we can all walk away on good terms. :)

This thread is now locked, but we will reopen the conversation when we get closer to being able to make some changes to the forum software that may allow some of the good ideas to be implemented.

Dennis
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds