Skip to main content

Information about the future of the Forum

More
9 years 3 months ago #154501 by Wilweld
The purpose of this post was not to slight anyone in any way.

Trevor merely exercised his right as a forum member to remove his posts, but in doing so he unfortunately caused the loss of some really good info as to the way the forum is and will be run.

I think a better explanation of what I was proposing was a "bulletin board" type thread where the admins can occasionally post a short report of what is happening in regards to the forum.

For instance- "This week Slospeed attended a HVCV general meeting and said such and such, the committee voted on such and such, admins have since discussed this with the committee, the impact on the forum will be this, that or other." (All of this info should be able to be found in the minutes of the last meeting anyway, regardless of Trevor removing his posts)

Short, sweet, thread locked, no argument and there for all to see.

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #154502 by steveb
Just a totally unbiased opinion.
As a rank outsider , who has looked and made comment on this forum over a number of years , I have found it a great source of both good and sometimes different comments on a varied range of topics .
Some I agree with , some not.
BUT we all have the fortunate opportunity here to say what we think.
If we all drove red Commodores , how dull the world would be.
Enjoy the forum for what it is (to me a lot of fun).
To the people who have the guts to go out on a limb, and monitor this for us , I say thank you .
Just remember if you don't like a topic don't read it!!!!

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #154503 by Bobsboy
Hi,

Well one good thing,

We have learned how to play nice while discussing a very sensitive Topic.

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #154504 by bparo
And just a suggestion for those who use Swishy's tip to show the last 100 posts and a reminder for everyone else.

If you see something you want to comment on or ask about please take the time to open the thread and read the previous posts before making your comment or asking your question. It helps stop the circling where the same thing keeps getting asked or said wasting everyone else's time.

There are several people who use the 100 post way as their routine way of accessing the forum and appear to comment on the first post they see about a topic which is the most recent one as they have something to say. They make their comment or question without looking and move on.

When trying to explain something it makes it hard to know if people don't understand or didn't look so you try to explain it another way. The same thing then happens again.

This is not having a shot at anyone, nor is it a way to try and hide information. It is merely an attempt to stop conversations going around in needless circles as then people tune out and vital information is missed.

And for the record I am guilty of doing it in the past too. Particularly when I was pressed for time. I then realized that the 5 mins I saved caused me 3 hours of cleanup.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bparo.

More
9 years 3 months ago #154505 by bparo
This Thursday night there is a meeting planned about the forum and upgrading it.

The required attendees are the HCVC President, Rusty Russ, Gryphon and Myself.

There are some other committee members, forum members and people running the website invited to attend if they so desire. They will have received an email and I am not going to name them. If the invitees want to put their name here they are welcome but I don't want to name them in case they can't make it.

For the geographically challenged it means I am driving 3 hours to attend a meeting, then planning on staying the night and coming home Friday morning to sort out some personal stuff before heading down to stay near Lancefield ready for the show on the weekend

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

9 years 3 months ago #154506 by
Hi Bruce,

As an ex-moderator I would like to say why I resigned, as it is relevant to recent comments.

I said the the HCVCA, should only post coverage of :-
H - Vehicles that are historic (no custom cr*p)
CV -Vehicles that were Commercial, not private/show use.
A - Vehicles that were in use in Australia.

Shows events and models of the above should obviously be included.
Leave Sales to eBay / Gumtree.

In other words... Keep it simple and to the point.

I hope the meeting is fruitful.

Cheers

RS :)
Ex-Moderator

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #154507 by Mairjimmy

Just a totally unbiased opinion.
As a rank outsider , who has looked and made comment on this forum over a number of years , I have found it a great source of both good and sometimes different comments on a varied range of topics .
Some I agree with , some not.
BUT we all have the fortunate opportunity here to say what we think.
If we all drove red Commodores , how dull the world would be.
Enjoy the forum for what it is (to me a lot of fun).
To the people who have the guts to go out on a limb, and monitor this for us , I say thank you .
Just remember if you don't like a topic don't read it!!!!

As a rank outsider steveb you have got it in a nutshell,,,,

If you don't like the topic don't read it,,, what so hard about that,
I opened the last 100 post once, hell why would any body want to, I wonder how you be able to follow what's going on, but if that's the way you want to do it and you can follow what's going on you have a better mind than me[ which wouldn't be to difficult]

Bruce thanks for the patience you show when explaining to us on here, it must be starting to take a toll on you mate and hope you still have the energy to enjoy the weekend at Lancefield

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
9 years 3 months ago #154508 by dno
Will an updated forum still use the yaBB software or will they look at others like vBulletin or XenForo ?

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
9 years 3 months ago #154509 by wouldyou
This forum is titled HCVC Vintage Truck Forum, from that Roland is correct.
In it's present format perhaps Historic Commercial Vehicle Club Forum would be a better title.
With an interest in all things mechanical I like the scope of topics now covered.
David.

More
9 years 3 months ago #154510 by bparo
Will an updated forum still use the yaBB software or will they look at others like vBulletin or XenForo ?[/quote]

Given the work to update yaBB we are looking at other suggestions.So far they include:

Vbulletin -sample site: www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

SMF - sample site: forums.tomm.com.au/index.php

And instasp.

The decision will be based on the ability to move the current users and posts, usability, the ability to administrator, the ability to integrate it into the website and other sited and technical advice. It is not just my decision to make although I expect to have some input into it.

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds