Skip to main content

technical library

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #74731 by
technical library was created by
Hi,
Was wondering, could this forum have a technical/reference section library where members could post or download information on their particular truck makes ?
It would save asking a lot of dumb questions, which old hands consider obvious (me NOT being one of them). It might also stop posts wandering off the subject. Then if its not in the tech section ask!
I use K100club and ATHS sites as an example for their tech sections, but an Aussie site with a tech/reference section would be great.
Geoff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #74732 by
Replied by on topic Re: technical library
I have deleted the second post that you made.

Please do not double post.

Thanks for your idea.

Your suggestion has been noticed and is being considered by the admins and moderators of the forum.

Personally I think that we have multiple sections which cover majority of questions and tech items without having a specific area for tech section.

And we want to keep the forum simple and easy to use.

However I'm interested in getting any other ideas or feedback towards this idea.

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #74733 by
Hi there,
On that, Don't you think that would work?
In its current form the forum would be hard for any research on technical issues unless you post a question.
Or would it devalue information collected and not shared with others.
Just wondering
Geoff
PS doubled the post cause I didn't get a reply until now.!

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #74734 by
It could work but I find the environement and interaction of working through a problem very valuable.

I remember one question was asked it was found during the interaction that the issue was something totally different than expected and was amazing to watch the problem solving occuring.

Not sure if we did make a technical section how it would be better than in the general forum sections. As it will still be limited to a similar style and search engine that the rest of the forum uses. If we were to create a technical area how do you think it should work?

PS: didn't respond right away as I wasn't on a computer much yesterday at all and was busy most of this day also.

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #74735 by
Hi, As in the first post it could be set up like ATHS site where you sign in to the technical section and peruse, thru makes and models, and further broken down into specific areas diffs gearboxes wiring, cabs etc If you look at kenworthk100club.multiply.com/ you'll see they have an excellent wiring diagram section, paint scheme etc.
I realise what your saying, asking, then members going back to find but it is far from simply.The tech idea can work both ways..... for instance I was recently given a whole lot of information from KW US regarding single drives but if I was to post this up, it would simply vanish in a thread, not in any order. I'm sure others who have this kind of stuff would like to share it to.
Like I said if you still want to ask a question to members you will,and get your back and forth

Geoff

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #74736 by
Sounds like a lot of work. And still unsure how it would work in a low moderated forum such as this. As it wouldn't be possible to quality check the information.

The further issue of ensuring that any posts including images remain also a major issue.

This is not even considering the amount of time to make the number of folders required on the forum! Think about it this way with say a international Acco. With your suggestion we would need to have a International Folder followed by a ACCO folder. Then dozens of folder for each of the models from the ACCO A series through to at least the E model with each derivitive So looking at say a dozen folder per series then a folder for say diff, gearbox etc.

Two things lots of work to set up and maintain (only discussed one Make/model series). Also unsure if the forum software can cope with so many levels!

I think it is a reasonably major but possible undertaking for a single make/model website such as the K100 club or some of the car clubs. But for a site like this that accepts all types it becomes a very major undertaking.

Still would like to hear from other members of the forum. What are their thoughts? If we created a technical area any ideas on how we could make it manageable? Any discussions?

• Topic Author
12 years 3 months ago #74737 by
I think we would need just have one folder per model like kenworth ,Bedford Mack etc.

But myself I think we have lot of tech stuff now because when some one ask question about a drama there having there is plenty of good advice and if the person who asked the question follows the thread to the end will get all the info they needed.

So answer to your question I dont think we need it at the moment. Dave

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 3 months ago #74738 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: technical library

Tech Library
Yep
Gr8 Idea
But how do U run it n control it
FWIW my 2 C worth
have one forum Category of
TECH
under th@ tech folder have one where all info can B submitted
then under tech forum
have the different sub directories th@ only admin can put up the ones submitted to the general TECH Category when OK'd

TECH LIBRARY
...SUBMISSIONS
....GENERAL ( those not covered under any other)
............................Rust Removal
............................Welding
............................Painting
............................Oil & Greasing
............................Cleaning
............................Hints & Tips
............................Engineering Calculations
......Chassis Numbers & Engine Numbers (where to find them)
......TuneUps
.............................Diesel
.............................Petrol
......Trasmissions
......Rear Axle
......Suspensions
......Front Axle
......Wheels & Tyres
......Where to get it
etc
etc
when submitting info it would B checked n OK to B placed under the corect part of the library
nmakeing all but submissions locked n not postable but by admin

LOL

there
dun

Soundz easy

LOL

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 3 months ago #74739 by truckit
Replied by truckit on topic Re: technical library
Hi,

Personnley I like the way the questions and answers are posted about a problem or concern flow through the forum well now, cause we get all ideas thrown in and it could answer someones question without them posting it just by reading with interest, just my idea for what it's worth.

Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

More
12 years 3 months ago #74740 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: technical library
I would agree, and the more catagories we have, the more daunting it is for someone to work out where to post a question.

Hi,

Personnley I like the way the questions and answers are posted about a problem or concern flow through the forum well now, cause we get all ideas thrown in and it could answer someones question without them posting it just by reading with interest, just my idea for what it's worth.

Charlie

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds