Skip to main content

Inter AGD240 Ring Gear

More
10 years 5 days ago #142141 by rb057
Inter AGD240 Ring Gear was created by rb057
G'day Forum,

Having experienced a jambed starter issue on our AB120 recently I think I'm up for a new ring gear. The engine is an AGD240 with the standard 4 speed transmission (reverse is to the right and up).

Is a good second hand one out there, or is it possible to get my hands on a new one?

Alternatively if replacements are not available is it as simple as knocking the ring gear off the flywheel, reversing and re-installing? I expect that the leading edge of the gear teath would need to be reprofiled also. The gear teath look about 1/3 worn at the moment.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Roger

AB120 4x4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 days ago #142142 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Inter AGD240 Ring Gear
Roger, most of my old vehicles over the years have displayed wear in the ring gear. You'd be surprised how bad it needs to get before causing trouble.
Having said that, I'm sure I still have a flywheel, or two around here. I can bring one to Rocklea.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 5 days ago #142143 by Aussiehooker
the one in my ab 130 i took off turned it over and used the other side 30 years plus and still going . press the gear off turn over then heat with the oxy evenly drop it on to the flywheel and keep tapping it home real gentle to ensure that the ring gear is seated evenly on the flywheel .the tap is only just contact / alow to cool and of to work cheers don

More
10 years 5 days ago #142144 by rb057
Replied by rb057 on topic Re: Inter AGD240 Ring Gear
Thanks for the replys.

ASW, I will take you up on the flywheel and see you at Rocklea (more to have a look before I pull ours apart). The other day after refurbishing the starter the engine would not turn over after a few starts. It turned out that the starter pinion jambed on the flywheel making the engine solid, could not even turn the engine over with a huge spanner! Removed and refitted the starter and all is good now. Just wanting to do some preventative work to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Don, like your solution. To get at the flywheel the thing is pulled apart and you have to knock off the old ring gear anyway. Might as well re-use the old one and save the money.

Thanks again
Roger

AB120 4x4

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds