Skip to main content

The Mad 18 & The 40 miles of Bends

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #157836 by Hi Beam
G'day Gang
Drove up the New england from Glen Innes to Warwick a couple of weeks ago. Various hills still there. Various towns still there but where were the "40 miles of bends" and where was the "mad 18"?

Any help gratefuly accepted.

C'ya

Hi Beam

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #157837 by olddon
Did lots of NE running in my (misspent) younger days and I can't tell you about the Mad 18 but on the Putty Road there was (and still is ) the 10 mile of bends . Cheers Don
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by olddon.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157838 by overnite

Did lots of NE running in my (misspent) younger days and I can't tell you about the Mad 18 but on the Putty Road there was (and still is ) the 10 mile of bends . Cheers Don

I used to love the 10 miles on the Putty in the 5 series overnighters, then we got the ghosts, then it became fantastic.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157839 by mammoth
By mad coincidence a local mentioned today a near miss he had at the mad 18 - near Uralla he said. Over the past few decades a lot of the New England through the high country has been realigned taking out a lot of the bends. The last of the original hills are at Bolivia (an upgrade is on the drawing board) and the top section of Moonbi.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157840 by werkhorse
Overnite ..... I've just finished listening to an hour long tape of an ex ghost running south bound down the putty .... Recorded around 1977 .... Pure heaven to listen to

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #157841 by overnite

Overnite ..... I've just finished listening to an hour long tape of an ex ghost running south bound down the putty .... Recorded around 1977 .... Pure heaven to listen to

Werk
Where can I get a copy please ? You can PM me if you like.
Cheers
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by hayseed.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157842 by werkhorse
Not just yet mate .... It's not mine .... BUT I am helping on a little project with its owner that should put a smile on a few faces ;) 8-)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157843 by overnite
Does it have the original spiraflow muffler? Those mufflers had an awesome sound, especially in the dead of night.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157844 by Hi Beam
Thanks mammoth. That jarred a few cells into action. The mad 18 was the 18 mile down hill run into Bendemeer. Lots of blokes did bend em here because of the right angle approach to the bridge. There used to be a very large salvage yard there full of all sorts of vehicles from cars to trucks which had come to grief by running out of brakes. Now who can get my brain to dredge up the location of the 40 mile of bends? Referance made to the Ten Mile in some replies, it's pretty much the same as I remembered, a bit wider perhaps than in the days of uster.

C'ya

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157845 by werkhorse
It was a 73 model with the drivers side low slung exhaust .... Recorded around 1977

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds