Skip to main content

1954 AR 160

More
8 years 5 months ago #164838 by Jason130
Replied by Jason130 on topic 1954 AR 160
G'day Garry Love the truck, my Ar130 runs Holley from factory, hope you find the parts you need

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #164840 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1954 AR 160

wedgetail84 wrote:

Mrsmackpaul wrote: now me being farmer Paul and RAG (rough as guts) I cant see why you cant get s cam backing plates or maybe just modify the backing plates you have weld the corresponding brackets on the axle housing for the S cam and the cans and put the plumbing in job done

and modify the shoes got put a roller on for the S cams and pivot on the bottom can most likely use the same bottom pivot

I have had trailers that I could quite clearly see had been hydraulic or air over hydraulic maybe vacuum over hydraulic yet they went over the pits never a problem

yes it would be wise to consult someone smarter than me like an engineer which you will have to for the engine and trans mods

To do it the proper way you'd have to get backing plates made for your specific axle housing would you not? It's an interesting idea what you're talking about and I would consider it - I would have thought no inspector would ever let them through though, would give them a heart attack round here and they're nothing like over on the coast! Are you thinking just do it and don't tell or get the engineers involved? Or are you QLD? :angry:

Maybe the easiest would be to adapt an S cam backing plate rather then modifying a juice one

sorry I missed this yeah mate in north QLD
dunno about needing backing plates any S cam brake systems I have seen or more to the point worked on can be run with out backing plates and a big portion of S cam brakes have had the backing plates removed and run fine
so maybe something can be achieved fairly cheaply

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 5 months ago #164980 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic 1954 AR 160
OR, you could just leave it hydraulic, and put a line lock in. I bought a Datsun ute off a post cutter bloke, he had installed one in it. Basically just cut the brake line after the master cylinder and out a lock in (t piece etc so you could operate it in the cab). Its is as good as a foot on the pedal, down side, if you leave it locked on for long periods you are asking a lot of the seals in your wheel cylinders. I wish I had kept the lock, would be perfect for the ACCO when the park brake is being useless and the batteries dodgy and there is no-one to open the gate.

I know they do not qualify for roadworthy for a park brake, they have to be mechanical. Not sure if it would be considered illegal to have one as well.

Good luck

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds