Skip to main content

Driving to Alice Springs Reunion 2015

More
9 years 1 month ago #156070 by tmilob
I plan to drive my 1936 truck from Adelaide to Alice for the 2015 reunion. I have not been there before and would like to know if there will be any other old trucks on the road to Alice. I was planning to leave Adelaide on the 25th (Tuesday) which should have me in Alice on the Friday.

Tony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #156071 by Lang
Tony

The Military Vehicle group from Adelaide are taking a big convoy open to all comers but you probably don't want to go with them as they are going via the Flinders Ranges, Strezlecki Track to Birdsville and over the Plenty Highway - really interesting route but more than a thousand km of dirt.

I think a lot of Eastern State truck people will go via Port Augusta (some from my truck club in Brisbane are going that way) and you will run into them on the main highway

Lang

More
9 years 1 month ago #156072 by Mairjimmy
Tony, Welcome to the forum. It's along way in a 1936 model [what's the make and colour as I will look out for you out there] I think we will be past Port Agusta by then, we will be coming through Broken Hill with a road train, 3 trailer we think, Have to pull one trailer with one of the older trucks to Port Agusta.

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #156073 by tmilob
Lang / Colin thanks for the reply. Glad to hear I will have company out there.
Yes it's a long way in a 1936 but I have no doubt it will make it, it's the driver that may need help ....
My plan is to pass Port Augusta on Tuesday afternoon then just keep ticking along until I get to Alice on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
Here is a picture of my ride.

1936 - C30 International
[IMG

Tony
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by tmilob.

More
9 years 1 month ago #156074 by Mairjimmy
Tony,, That truck is to my liking, 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) It makes me wish I was working on the 1938 D30 Inter instead of the R180 Inter to take out there to Alice Springs, :'( :'( :'( the Ford LN8000 is ready to go

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 1 month ago #156075 by Tacho
Welcome to the forum Tony, that is a very neat looking Inter truck. Some time down the track it would be good to have you and the Inter come along to one of our SA HCVC week-end events. Have a look in the contacts section of the home page for more information.

Colin, there's time yet to get the R180 and the D30 ready for Alice...but you will probably have to move your swag out to the workshop and do some overtime.
Cheers Geoff

More
8 years 9 months ago #156076 by gilly
Looking at the Calendar, then the Forum, maybe I have missed any chat about potential travellers going, popular departure dates etc.

If the paint dries, & we get the screamer spinning the tail shaft, who else would leave Melb around the 20th August?.
Gilly

More
8 years 9 months ago #156077 by bparo
It seems that this year people seem to be doing their own thing. I do know of a large group leaving Melbourne early on the 22nd and stopping the first night in Mildura. I believe they are doing an extended tour coming home as they were talking about Ayers Rock and Pichi Richi Railway rides. I am not sure who is in the group though as I am not going and living a couple of hours north the grapevine has gone dry

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
8 years 9 months ago #156078 by philip
I just hope there will be no commers blocking the road puffing soot out like they own the joint

More
8 years 9 months ago #156079 by Mairjimmy
Philip, You better tell us what your driving so the Commer drivers can either back off to clear the road so you can see to pass or if they desire to plant the foot to block you vision or maybe for me to know who to run over. >:( >:( :-? :-? ::) ::) Commers are one of the great chapters of Australian Trucking History :) :)
Colin

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds