Skip to main content

Channel 40 not available since upgrade of Forum.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248065 by Gryphon
Hi,

the software we were using for the Channel 40 does not work on this new level of software and the person that wrote the CH 40 software has made it known he has no plans update or write a new version of their software thus we don't have any Private Messaging available at the moment.

If there is something you had saved in Channel 40 that you would like to retrieve let me know and when time permits I can go try and retrieve it for you if it is important.

I am not sure what the long term solution is going to be, however if you did use Channel 40 to communicate with other members on here can you please let me know how often you used it and what sort of things you were using it for so I can gauge what a replacement might need to do.

Terry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248079 by 180wannabe
Hi Terry.  I used Channel 40 to communicate with other members, either to exchange email addresses, phone numbers, or to pass on information from a 3rd party who didn't want it made public.  It wasn't something i used regularly, but it was nearly always something i used anytime i was able to assist another member with information.  I think not having it will definitely affect how much i am able to help someone.

Brett.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248081 by Sarge
Terry I was an infrequent ch.40 user as wannabe said, for stuff that I didn't think was proper or necessary to go out in a topic,  always to specific member.  Mostly it would be of no interest to others and my reply about parts or whatever probably related to something pages back in the actual topic.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, asw120

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248085 by Lang
Why not the option of putting an email address on your profile for direct communications.

I have had my web site and contacts there for 10 years and have received quite a number of messages from members.

For those worried about outsiders using your email address for unwanted contact - firstly your email address is out in the world for anyone to find if they wish to, privacy is a fairy tale. Most relevant is although my address and phone number have been available through the forum for a decade I have received not a single unwanted direct or mass spam message in all that time from this source.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, wee-allis

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248086 by Gryphon
Hi,

thanks for the feedback so far.

I noticed a Private Message tab is available when Replying to a post that I tried out last night with a post made by Swishy but I don't know that he has received it or whether it is intended that he would receive something so I need to play with that and see if it is of any use for those times when you want to make comment or pass on details more discretely.

Regarding displaying your email that is possible now. The forum wide setting is to not display individuals emails however individuals can go into their Profile, select Edit and under Forum Settings select No to 'Hide Email' and your email address will display along with the rest of your details.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, wee-allis

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #248132 by PDU
I used this feature quite a few times and found it very handy, particularly as sometimes the matter discussed is meant for one specific person and not for general display and saves having to explain things for "wanderers" who are simply curious.
No doubt you will find a fix somewhere, somehow and quite a few of us will thank you for your efforts. Good on you and more power to you too Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris

More
4 months 1 week ago #249825 by Gryphon
Hi,

Channel 40 now appears in the top menu again and from the limited testing I can do it appears to be functioning. It has been provided as 'working but with no support' so we will see how it goes.

If you do experience an issue or two let me know in this thread the details of what you were doing and any messages.

Terry

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds