Skip to main content

Taser Guns delivered by Commercial Vehicles

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #140076 by oldfulla
All sorts of reminds me of the old spark plug tester hooked up to the drinking fountain. Or an old coil hooked up to a piece of wire netting behind the dance hall - just to catch who was killing the grass.

But the big test to sort the men from the boys - was to be able to stall a side valve Ford V8 by resting each arm along the 4 spark plug tops on each cyl head.

Oldfulla

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #140077 by tim
Oldfulla, that reminds me of our old trade school teacher at the Gordon Institute in Geelong, Bill Gillies, long dead by now I guess, he took great pride in showing first year mechanics apprentices how to do that & then trying to get volunteers to do it. Gave him a bit of standing with the students I can assure you. cheers Tim ;) :D ;D :o

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #140078 by oldfulla
Another one I remember - a bit rare though. Was a thing called a 'Megga" - a wooden box thingo that when one wound the handle fast - produced an extreamly high voltage - and was used in the electricity transmission game as a test device.

As a kid I had a school holiday job with a gang erecting a rural SWER (single wire earth return) transmission line. At each pole - they ran an earth wire down the pole and then laid/buried it in a trench about 3ft deep and 50 yards long. Each one had to be tested by driving 2 steel pegs into the ground near this buried cable - and hooking up 2 wires (alligator clips) from the megga to each peg. Then every one stood back while this megga was turned.

First day out I got the job of leaving the base of the pole with a 14LB hammer, the 2 x 3 ft long steel pegs and the 2 wires from the megga - paceing out the 1st peg at 50 yeards and the 2nd at 100 yards. - hook a clip to each one and then let the sparkies do the test (apply a huge voltage to the system).

Not knowing - I had both clips in one hand - and the pegs and hammer over the other shoulder - casually stepping out the 1st 50 yards - when 'BANG' - someone turned the handle on the megga - and I copped the full belt.

Took about 3 days for my heart to return to a normal speed. But only got caught once.

Oldfulla

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #140079 by asw120
Ah yes, the good old Megger tester. The type with the handle is certainly an antique by now, but the modern electronic version still ubiquitous. Officially known as an insulation tester. (Megger is a brand, still available last I checked) Puts out 250, 500 or 1000 volts.
An easy way for the tradesman to gain the apprentice's mistrust! (when we still had apprentices :'( )

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

10 years 4 weeks ago - 10 years 4 weeks ago #140080 by
...yeah i've gotta admit you could only catch you schoolmates out with that old jigger for so long...them holding the wires and you winding like buggery!!...

....it got to the point as a young tacker on school holidays when boredom finally took over, you'd get a dish full of water and chuck a few snails in and watch all the froth and bubble!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o......

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #140081 by oldfulla
Imagine trying to impart some of the above stories (see experiences) to anyone under about 30YO? They would want to know where the computer was - or something as stupid.

In comparison - that school holiday job from about 1967 - taught me so many practical things that have stayed with me to this day.

Like - learning how to drive (change gears) with a crash box (driving the 3 Blitzs on the job), how to screw a 6" x 5/8" coach screw with a 14lb hammer. 1 smack and they were in. Never hold any electrical wire by the bare ends. At a whole 7 stone - to be able to stand a 40' wooden extension ladder by holding it at the correct angle. To mention just a few.

No wonder the kids of today are so usless.

As an aside - one of the Blitzs was a Ford (V8) - and because they often stood for a while without being started - someone had driven a 'funnel' like hole in the engine cover directly about the centre of the air cleaner. Something made with a roofing punch or similar. And a 'hand' hole had been cut out of the side of the said engine cover.

So for a quick start - hand thru said hole - loosen the wing nut on the top of the air cleaner - then a screw top bottle (soft drink sized) full of petrol.

Dribble the fuel into the funnel shaped hole - and hit the starter button. Once running - retighten the air cleaner wing nut and return the fuel bottle to its place behind the passenger side seat.

I forgot - one had to set the choke into an exact cold start position. The choke knob was attached to a 'flat' shaft - and the correct starting position was to pull it out until an old wooden (dolly) cloths peg could be inserted over the flat shaft between the knob and the dash (actually came out of a 'face' at the back of the engine cover housing) - then let the knob rest back against the peg. Worked every time.

A CHOKE - now there is another thing for the distant past.

Oldfulla

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds