Skip to main content

Nullabor Adventures

• Topic Author
9 years 6 months ago #149273 by
Replied by on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
....Jeeez .. i dunno what's got the better bodywork....the Porsche or the nymph !! :o :o ;D ;D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149274 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
HA HA HA HA .... the old Nullarbor Nymph !!!!

First came to light in 1971 when a group of roo shooters shot a film of her. The nymph turned out to be a 17 year old model. It attracted world wide interest. and Eucla was swamped by journalists from all over.

In 1972 a photo was taken of the nymph, but she wasn't the same girl that appeared in the original film. The girl in that photo was a girlfriend of one of the roo shooters.

Later another photo was released, in that one the original 17 old girl appeared.

In 1972 one of the roo shooters admitted to the Adelaide Sunday Mail that is was all a hoax, initially thought up in the Eucla Pub.

Musta been good for business at the pub coz there wasn't much going on elsewhere in Eucla at the time.

They also made a bronze statue of the nymph that still may be in the SA Art Gallery. They even shot a budget movie about the nymph in 2002.

And what about the family that a UFO tried to abduct .... car and all. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by grumpy.

• Topic Author
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #149275 by
Replied by on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
I drove over to Perth from Kyneton Vic by myself in mid October and then Jane flew over and I picked her up from Perth Airport and we went down to Albany for the reenactment of the Troops leaving Australia for WW1. We then drove back together.
Even thou its 2014 and the road is fully sealed I class this as an adventure as I/we did a fair bit of off the bitumin driving without any back up.

I saw this west of Ceduna and recognised it from a previous post on the Forum. Perhaps someone could find the post and copy it on here...........I didnt investigate further as it and the rest of the equipment is on private property

I next decided to take a look at Ivy Tanks on the Old Eyre Hwy.........This track starts at a Parking Bay on the right hand side of the bitumin about 53 Km west of Yalata and heads north east for about 14km and meets the old road 5km east of Ivy Tanks

About halfway from the bitumen to the gravel

Land mark (until someone moves it) where the track from the bitumin meets tha old Eyre Hwy

Ivy Tanks

All thats left of the roadhouse

Check this tree out in this and in the following 2 pictures

Note the tree is besides the semi and behind the Landrover. Another thing I find incredable is the fact that I found the second photo on the Internet and I know(did know) the car and 4 of the guys in the photo. This photo would have been taken Dec 1967 as the guys were going to Perth on Leave. This car and 3 of the guys in the photo and myself and another guy (5 of us) drove from Melbourne to Perth (for a wedding) and return in March 67. It took us 38hrs to Perth and 42 hrs back to Melbourne . Total time away from Melbourne was 5 days...........hard to do today and extremely hard to do it then (1000miles of gravel each way) but we were only 17 or 18 and you can do anything

The Old Eyre Hwy from Ivy Tanks to Nullabor Roadhouse.

I them drove along the bitumin and then headed inland to Koonalda Station. It sold fuel in the old days but in never called in to it or Nullabor station in those times as they were off the road and if I filled up at Ivy Tanks and Eucla I didnt need to.

Restored Station House

Part of the grave yard......there must be at least 50 cars and trucks there

Koonalda Woolshed

Cave about 6km north of the woolshed

Rubbish Truck at Mundrabilla

I was about 50 km east of Cocklebiddy when a white Bentley roars past......then another....and another. 6 Bentleys in total.........you dont get that every day. They were refuelling at Cocklebiddy when I got there so I went over and started chatting to one of the owners. They were going to a Bentley Car Club meeting in Perth

Enjoying the drive and then about 100km east of Norseman came across this. Happened about half an hour before I got there and luckily neither of the two occupants were hurt. Obscured behind the caravan was another van that had seen it happen and stopped and everyone was sitting in the bush at a picnic table drinking tea and waiting for a tow truck.

At Norseman I decided to take the Norseman Hyden Road. Its about 250km of very good gravel. The first few km the surface is loose (like driving on marbles) but from then on its quite solid. Easily sit on 90 and in places upto 100km/hour.

The road

Then an uneventful trip into Hyden and on to Perth. Didnt stop at Wave Rock..........been there before and its not as big as you would think.

Will post a bit about the return trip shortly..........took a short cut (well) from Esperence to Balladonia

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #149276 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
Dazza
Gudday M8

Gr8 info n pix
Keep m Cummin

the tree @ ivy tanks dun look like it has grown much

hope u gave it a sprinkle

have heard the Nullabore n Perth is out Byond Footscray

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Swishy.

More
9 years 5 months ago #149277 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
Some really good pic's and a story to go with it dazza....well done.

More
9 years 5 months ago #149278 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
Great story and Pics Dazza

Lang

More
9 years 5 months ago #149279 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
Thanks for sharing Dazz, very interesting.

More
9 years 5 months ago #149280 by clarkie383
Replied by clarkie383 on topic Re: Nullabor Adventures
Dazza1949 that was my post you saw.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1365487034/0

Wish i knew more about some sights on the old highway.
Would of been nice to check out.

More
9 years 5 months ago #149281 by Roderick Smith
Everything in this thread has been of interest, and Dazza's post brings the story up to date, with great photos. Is the old route available as an adventure journey for its full length? Here is the USA program to revive the cult Route 66: <www.bringbackroute66.com>
and < www.bringbackroute66.com/home.html> ;

I contribute this to a matching Australian campaign:
'I get my fun, on Oz Highway one'

If you, ever plan, to motor west,
Travel my way, take the highway that's the best,
And get your fun, on Oz Highway One.

Well it winds, from Cairns through WA,
More than fourteen, thousand km all the way,
Get your fun, on Oz Highway One.

Now you go through Rockhampton,
south on through Brisbane,
The bridge crossing Sydney looks, oh so pretty,