Skip to main content

Broken van

More
7 years 1 month ago #181452 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Broken van
The alloy frame looks very thin and light to me.Anyhoo,theres no way our lovely smooth Qld roads would have caused this,probably broke before he crossed the border.Regards John.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181453 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Broken van
Looks like poor design, the underslung support was welded at the point it started to break. The top plate is straight above the end of the under support, puts all load on that point. Think that the supports should have gone right to the front
Will not be the last one that happens to.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #181456 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Broken van
Looks to be very thin walled tubing. Would make good square exhaust pipes, nothing else.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by overnite.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181457 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Broken van
The more I look and think on this I believe these pic's should be forwarded to the QLD (and maybe other States ) licensing departments.
That has the potential to kill other road users or anyone near one of these failures.
Steve

More
7 years 1 month ago #181458 by mercskeepmeinajob
Replied by mercskeepmeinajob on topic Broken van
But were the "D shackles" rated?
Seems to be that is all they're interested in with most trailers/vans.
The hardest engineering decision most State Transport regulators make these days is -
"Do I have 1 or 2 sugars in my coffee this morning"?

More
7 years 1 month ago #181467 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Broken van
The tow vehicle and van plate
Ian

More
7 years 1 month ago #181469 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Broken van
Maybe Zuffen can help with that VIN?
From Wiki, GT is unassigned and the 9 means the company manufactures fewer than 2000 units per year.
Would seem she's not from China though.
Looks like a design fault to me, bottom stiffener stopped too short and I'm unsure how thin allu-billy-can likes corrugations.
With those axles set so far back I'd bet she has those "helper" bar things at the coupling. Have to be the most dangerous items I've even seen added to fix poor weight distribution.
Big Hp tow vehicle out the front, probably did 100k's before they even noticed the van was gone.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #181486 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Broken van
There is alloy and there is alloy.

A 747 flys at 200 tons and more suffering up to 4G (4 times its weight in turbulence - 800 tons) all built of alloy much of it held together by alloy rivets. The RAN has Destroyers of thousands of tons built of alloy.

The alloy extrusions on the draw bar look like Bunnings hardware tensile strength designed for a static load to hold the roof up on a carport not a high tensile rated alloy designed for industrial purposes.

As mentioned above, the axle position plus the ridiculous overloading of the drawbar exceeded the inadequate strength.

I reckon the problem can only be resolved by total replacement of the drawbar with proper rated tensile alloy and a bit more thought put into drawbar loading.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
7 years 1 month ago #181491 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Broken van
I'm pretty sure Goldstar vans are made in China. I wonder how much of the 600kg payload is made up of solar panels, satellite dishes and anything else that wasn't in the van when it was put over 'bridge.....

More
7 years 1 month ago #181495 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Broken van

dieseldog wrote: I wonder how much of the 600kg payload is made up of solar panels, satellite dishes and anything else that wasn't in the van when it was put over 'bridge.....

I have been wondering the same thing my self by the time all that stuff is added there wouldnt be enough weight left for a suit case let alone the pots and pans in the kitchen

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds