Skip to main content

Russia in better times.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #233878 by Lang
Russia in better times. was created by Lang
Packing up for the builders to come in to hack into our flood damaged walls and found a box of photos.

Thought this could be of some interest of Russia in better times. I hope they return to more civilised existence as soon as Putin resigns "to spend more time with his family". Why is it some of the most beautiful countries in the world have the worst governments? Photos taken of a survey trip I did from Beijing to Moscow in preparation for the Peking to Paris car race recreation.

Gobi Desert just south of the Russian border in Mongolia. That is the main highway. If it was not for the telephone lines you would lose the road completely. It is so flat and smooth you can (and they do) drive anywhere.

The Ger in which we stayed the night, The van is one of those wonderful GAZ "Breadboxes" 4x4. It is sunny but minus 25 degrees (too cold for much snow).

Lake Baikal near Urkutsk. Lake Baikal is 200km long and 6,000 ft deep and holds 20% of all the fresh water on the face of the earth! Here are the boys with their ice yacht hang gliders. The ship stuck in the ice is the same one I used 4 months later to carry the 1907 ITALA across the lake.

Loading the hovercraft taxi to get to the other side. The ice only goes out about a kilometre from the shore at this point so the hovercraft can do the run on both ice and water.

As Boney M sang in their song "Rasputin", "Oh, those Russians!"

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, eerfree, overlander, PaulFH, V8Ian, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #233888 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Russia in better times.
-25⁰C, no wonder it looks a tad brisk, in some of the pictures. :ohmy:

More
2 years 1 month ago #233890 by Dodgeydude
Replied by Dodgeydude on topic Russia in better times.
Ah So, I see your mate using the old Mongolian trick of using the warm exhaust to take a leak.

Many useful things fall off trucks
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
2 years 1 month ago #233894 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Russia in better times.
https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/28907

Where's the Picture of Bev, & the Russian equivalent of Michelangelo...???

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 1 month ago #233895 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Russia in better times.
Hayseed

I do have a photo somewhere of her and the appropriate statue in the Louvre but this is as close as I can find in the same vein. Bev visited me in Bhutan while I was working there for the UN. Although they are strong Buddhists they also believe in the spirit world. As even we know, all evil spirits are female so all houses are decorated appropriately to ward them off - a bit like a cross through the heart for a vampire.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, jeffo

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds