Skip to main content

Sharpies, Bodgies, Mods and others

More
1 year 9 months ago #237907 by Lang
Dave

On the Gold Coast we only had Surfers and Rockers. Mods were a Pommy thing restricted mostly I believe to Melbourne and maybe Sydney. A grown man riding a Vespa FFS - shades of those pansy movies with Cliff Richard.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237910 by overnite
Maybe I didn’t quite word it correctly when I said money I have now, maybe should have said comfortable lifestyle. As far as safety is concerned, I wonder why I’m still alive considering some of the ridiculous things I’ve done. Probably confirms, only the good die young.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237914 by Gryphon
Hi,

for a little bit of history and things you can't un-see

scenestr.com.au/general/bogan-dancing-once-were-sharpies

Terry

More
1 year 9 months ago #237916 by Lang
Thanks for that. I saw Daddy Cool sing Eagle Rock at the Adelaide Motorcycle Grand Prix when it was top of the hit parade.

As far as Mods and Sharpies go it seems to confirm it was a predominantly Melbourne thing. My wife tells me that the City of Spectators was big on Jazz music/dancing while Sydney had Johnny O'Keefe and Rock and Roll music/dancing and Queensland had the Beach Boys and Surfer music/dancing. There obviously seemed to be some cross-over but my observation was there were 3 movements in the 60.70 period.

I found when I was driving and got stuck in some place as a late teenager you did not stand a chance unless you threw yourself into wild rocking, surf stomping, woos jazz or even the bogan bash. A man's got to do what a man's got to do!

Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #237917 by Dave_64
The Bogan bash?
That one must have passed me by!
Oh, so much I have missed out on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
1 year 9 months ago #237919 by JOHN.K.
Was the Bodgies and the Widgies in black leather on motor bikes back in the day..........Qld cops could bash anyone they liked...or didnt like......so it never took off like the bikies of today...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237921 by Lang
John

I think there are few of us involved in bodgies and widgies as this was a mid-1950's thing that had fizzled by the mid-60's and morphed into rockers who were still keen to carry on the slicked back hair. tradition.

Here is where the bodgies went.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: J D, Tacho

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237924 by overnite

Was the Bodgies and the Widgies in black leather on motor bikes back in the day..........Qld cops could bash anyone they liked...or didnt like......so it never took off like the bikies of today...

One part of that about a certain organisation, all I can say is “the more things change the more they stay the same”. I guess you can work out which organisation and state , although with the Victorian riots I think the same applies.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by overnite.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237925 by Blackduck59

Maybe I didn’t quite word it correctly when I said money I have now, maybe should have said comfortable lifestyle. As far as safety is concerned, I wonder why I’m still alive considering some of the ridiculous things I’ve done. Probably confirms, only the good die young.
You are no orphan there, figured if I was a cat I would be dead at least three times over and that is not counting the average near miss.
But geez it was fun!

More
1 year 9 months ago #237926 by cobbadog
There was certainly Sharpies in the western suburbs of Sydney around the 1980's or there abouts. Easy to spot, jeans were too sort in length and held up with braces and had a crew cut hair style and wore 'flat caps' sometimes. Full of self importance they were too until away from the other 10 mates or had crossed into areas not familiar to them.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds