Skip to main content

Cutting the Grass

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241811 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Cutting the Grass
I was going to convert my dumpy (same as cobbas ) to a mower,but without power to the new shed ,thats on hold......so I had to go and buy a mower......say one thing for it though,its electric start,and has a nice comfortable seat....The Deutscher had to wind it over with a big electric drill for five minutes to start,and if it conks out in the yard ,its half a mile of extension cord..........its got a funny/annoying fault ...the B&S would run good for an hour ,then suddenly cut out......nearest I can tell is the petrol in the carby is boiling.............Its a 1976 with an anodized bore ,and some bad scores ,so its either fix that ,replace it ,or new mower.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241813 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Cutting the Grass
Big chance that the problem with the B&S is coil or ignition module and on some they are one of the same. Coil gets hot and breaks down (tracking/arcing out). Try another coil on it and see how it goes. What size HP is it as many of the B&S are similar in the electrics depending on the year of manufacture.
Slow start ups can be compression and that is not always rings, could be valve problem from adjusting or burnt and need grinding and re-seating.

Next time if there is going to be one test the spark immediately to see if that is the issue.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOHN.K.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241819 by JOHN.K.
The motor is so old ,its got points inside the flywheel .....anyhoo,Its retired .....All I do now is remember which buttons to press ,which pedals have to be down,and turn the key.......... I was mowing one day ,an old guy came in and said he bought one and it wouldnt go.....he wasnt doing all the right stuff to start it......I had to write down a list for him.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241829 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Cutting the Grass
Could you pick up another engine with same hp? Might be worth it if the mower works far better than the new one, even swap over its engine.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241841 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Cutting the Grass

Most Ride on's are strictly Lawn Mowers unless you spend the value of a small car on a Commercial one..
Definitely the case with an MTD, I have killed two. I did manage to get the new one (I bought in 2008) going again after the old Rancher2 threw a blade with a piece of disc still attached. (must buy s new one). It had the very last of the Tecumseh engines in it. Wouldn't crank over compression. Turns out the decompression pin wears - 4 thou on the exhaust valve and it cranks.....just!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
1 year 5 months ago #241847 by JOHN.K.
Gave it to my nephew ....he s had a hard start in life when his ex wife sold his entire junk collection for scrap........anyhoo ,new wife says he can have junk just so he keeps the grass down.........hes workin on including motor bikes in the deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 4 months ago #242317 by JOHN.K.
Ive heard cutting grass is bad for the planet ,or some such......anyhoo,dont want greenies glueing themselves to my long grass,to stop me from mowing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 4 months ago #242339 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Cutting the Grass

Ive heard cutting grass is bad for the planet ,or some such......anyhoo,dont want greenies glueing themselves to my long grass,to stop me from mowing.
Maybe they could eat it for you ? :P

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
1 year 4 months ago #242341 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Cutting the Grass
Shhhhhhh, I'm hoping nobody notices mine needs cutting again. :whistle:

More
1 year 4 months ago #242348 by JOHN.K.
After the grass gets over a certain length ,the cat wont go out in it......may be a message there ,but I was given a 20l of extra strong Roundup (480?)

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds