Skip to main content

Horses

More
5 years 4 months ago #197478 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Camels in India

wee-allis wrote: Sometimes it's easy to make yourself look stupid. Roderick often puts up photos for vehicle identification. This time he knew what the bike was and I just didn't read his caption and thought I was so clever. As my old mum used to say, "If the cakes a failure, read the recipe".

I'm Pretty sure Roderick has Edited his post at least once since you Indentifying the Bike.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #197484 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Camels in India
Thanks Seed, perhaps I'm not as senile as I thought.

More
5 years 4 months ago #197595 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Horses - Cobb & Co.
181214F Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - Cobb & Co. coach.

Roderick.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
5 years 4 months ago #197777 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Dog sleigh
181224M Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - dog sleigh.
Roderick.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
5 years 4 months ago #197954 by Roderick Smith
Roderick.

Victor Harbor’s horse-drawn tram closed over safety concerns after causeway pylon snaps.
Adelaide 'Advertiser' January 2, 2019.
The damaged pylon has caused a clear dip in the causeway. Picture: SouthCoast Television.
One of Victor Harbor’s most popular tourist attractions, the horse-drawn tram to and from Granite Island, has been forced to close after a pylon that holds up the causeway snapped on Tuesday.
Photos posted by the local TV station, SouthCoast Television, show a significant drop on the western side of the causeway.
Victor Harbor Council CEO Victoria MacKirdy said the wooden infrastructure was owned by the Department of Transport and needed “a significant overhaul”.
The horse-drawn tram is popular tourist attraction. Pic: Tricia Watkinson
She told ABC Radio Adelaide the department’s engineering experts were due today to examine the structure. But it would remain closed until it was safe to use.
“I believe it’s happened before, before my time here at Victor, but it’s certainly not good, not good in our peak season,” Ms MacKirdy said.
“It’s very disappointing. It’s a significant piece of infrastructure for our region. We want it to stay but we want it to stay in good condition.”
Victor Harbor Council is considering privatising the horse-drawn tram after reports it is haemorrhaging money. The tram operated at a loss of nearly $500,000 last financial year. The tram is still a popular holiday past-time, running

since the late 1894 and is one of the last ones left in the world. Pic: Tricia Watkinson
< www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-austra...68f994433cb139f0cf8b >

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197957 by JOHN.K.
Only the South Australian Government could spend $500,000 running one horse drawn tram..........Of course there would have to be a board with assorted carpetbaggers on it all getting expenses for worldwide study trips to see horse drawn trams............oops ,its the only one.........still ,they might see something like it in new York or Paris.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198376 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Horses
Horse-drawn hearse, with the horses cropped out of the original.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/general/5400-hearses?start=110#198375
Roderick.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: fix a spelling mistake

More
5 years 3 months ago #198383 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Herefords
181024W Melbourne Express - 1982, Beaufort (Vic.) 14 yo girl riding her Hereford George to a football match.

Roderick
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #198555 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic On the beach
Film circles are buzzing with articles and photos marking the 60th anniversary of filming this, using Melbourne as a live set.
We had had a strong Australian film industry before WWII, but it had lapsed. This one brought Hollywood glamour to Melbourne, and lots of Melbourne locations featured. Locals were extras.
Part of the plot: Nuclear war had destroyed the northern hemisphere, and sources of petrol fuel.
Hence, there are backdrops of horse vehicles, and horses hauling useless motor cars.
Here are just two scenes.
A horse drawing a Ford Prefect (subject of a thread elsewhere), and a Rolls-Royce commandeered by USA sailors.
The whole Frankston scene is at

The original film is being screened at ACMI (Melbourne) over Sat.2-Thurs.7.2.19

Roderick

Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #198565 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic On the beach
They were called Railway Stations in 1959. I believe they should still be, as trains are not the only things that run there.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds