Skip to main content

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator

More
10 years 3 months ago #136158 by atkipete
As I understand it, they are still relying on the separate state authorities ( who don't talk to one another ) to do the on road enforcement.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #136159 by Raggsie
"National" that would be scary if we ended up with one big NSW.
Currently working in WA and I can`t ever imagine working on the east coast again.
When the scalies are in town they pretty much concern themselves with checking permits and being polite and friendly.
As for the constabulary they seem to be busy enough without bothering truckies doing the right thing.
Work diary we don`t use them but do have a company work diary/timesheet that does the same job.
Only caught up with the 4 corners show today, and it also talked of regulation or lack of being the cause of all our woes, but also raised the issue of adequate remuneration for the drivers who are as always the target of enforcement and the only ones to have to face the consequences.
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

More
10 years 3 months ago #136160 by atkipete
I understand you are allowed to do 16 hours driving over there but I cant see the sense in that.

More
10 years 3 months ago #136161 by Raggsie
We are only doing short haul 320 Km round trip max, so 12 or 13 is the norm for us with a 14 hour maximum.
Then to a house with real beds and facilities.
Pretty cushy and not to be regarded as a normal every day job, when some in similar roles are blowing right out to the maximum hours on longer hauls and living in the truck for however long it takes to complete their swing.
Once again not many trucks parked and employers always have a pile of resumes to choose from.
As for 16 hours, when I was doing long distance on the east coast in the 90s the every day thing was (depending on where you were running) 20 hours.
It just takes a lot more lying and cheating (driver abuse) to make it happen these days.
National regulation would be excellent (will never happen) if it actually targeted the Captains of industry instead of the foot soldiers.
$4000 fines for drivers for a minimum breach equals 457 visas being the only way to keep the wheels turning.
The fat cats get fatter and the regulators claim victory while the carnage increases.
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

More
10 years 3 months ago #136162 by atkipete
I drove mainly local and there was little regulation on how long you could drive. We were allowed 12 hours and you would be given a run ( that if your truck was ready and all went well ) would take 11 to 12 hours. If things went wrong or you got held up it would take a lot longer and you just had to " loose " a few hours.
Reckon the same people would just schedule a 15 hour run under the WA regs and you would end up doing 20 or 24. Which is one reason why I don't drive trucks anymore.

More
10 years 3 months ago #136163 by Ajay308SA
My opinion only....
I'm all for a national system, but it's not a perfect world. I drive only when I need to, NSW, Vic, WA. NSW is right up there with enforcement (probably related to income and public perception of the industry), but once you're away from the coast and Major highways the restrictions are a tad archaic. We're only now seeing B triples and only on remote roads. Cross the border to Vic, add a trailer. Fly to WA, jump into a 27m B double no problems, but because your licence is issued in NSW you can only work 14 hrs, the guy next to you cand do 17, and don't think about going to the east coast, the combination is too long..... The WA rules suit WA better, MAYBE NSW is too fixated with public sentiment..... Vic seems to have a fair balance (based on my personal experiences) and to run a triple NSW requires the same on board GPS monitoring and Audit as a road train.... sometimes I think I'm past keeping up with it all..... until ALL the states use the same rules, it is a big deal to stay on the ball with all the different rules and changes. Make a wee mistake and the penalties are enough to ruin your day....

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 3 months ago #136164 by Swishy
OK
wotz the word out on the Street

Have heard Oversize n Overmass Permits in Vic have taken more than 3 days n stihl no sign of sed permits
may B unobtainable @ the mo
LOL

Wot Say U Jumbo....any delays?

Vicroads normally quote 2 work days for permits

wot sez U
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 3 months ago #136165 by Cunning Stunt
I'm working for a crane company at the moment in Sydney, NHVR have said up to 30 days!

Pretty poor start, I'm losing my optimism daily :'( :'( :'(

Some play hard to get

More
10 years 3 months ago #136166 by rex
Cunning

Don't loose heart there is a way forward and it will not be fixed overnight. What the industry needs to do is understand that prior to Monday you were issued with a permit that contained conditions for you to meet. Namely Councils, Railways, Electricity and Telstra just to name a few supporting permits that you should have and very few operators did it because they had a permit. Well now you need all these supporting permits before you get your permit to do the job. My suggestion to the operators who are complaining get off your tail and do what you should have been doing for the past 20 Years get your supporting paperwork and you will get your permit.
We all need to understand the NHVR is here and it is here to stay so work with the authority and help them to get the job done. I believe there will be some changes to the current system as there is always room for improvement with any new system therefore give it some opportunity before we all try to beat it to death.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
10 years 2 months ago #136167 by atkipete
Have they got this together yet? I imagine there must be operators tempted to "wing it" if permits take too long.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds