Skip to main content

NTC 230 Cummins specs ??

More
5 years 3 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #198345 by Rattail 1927
Hi everyone I’m a total “newbie “ so please be nice... lol I have just purchased a single drive 1981 T-line with a NTC 230 Cummins (big cam 1 ?) and 9509 r/ranger trans , I won’t have it till next Sunday as it is being delivered, my question is I obviously know it has 230 hp but I can’t find the torque curve and if the block has piston coolers anywhere on the internet, it’s probably on the cpl plate but I forgot to check it, ..... can anyone please help!!!!! Thanks in advance Jim

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Sarge. Reason: Pic upload

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198346 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic NTC 230 Cummins specs ??
G'day ratty..Welcome.

Go here, quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

create an account (It's free) register your ESN. & you'll have access to Parts books & manuals applicable to your Engine..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linz1607

More
5 years 3 months ago #198351 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic NTC 230 Cummins specs ??
Its very likely to been rbuilt more than once,so its best to check what you actually have.........at various times Cummins 6 parts were very cheap......like $200 for a complete new head..........so most owners simply replaced old with new assys............much the same with the 9509s.......they werent popular,and IH were selling new takeouts for $400.at one time...........and when the new regos came in in Qld,quite a few owners removed bogies and replaced them with single drives............huge difference in rego.cost if you wernt carting max loads.......................originally the 230 was a budget motor,didnt have inlet seats and other cost cutting details.like no intercooler.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 1 month ago #198368 by Rattail 1927
Hi john, I’m hoping that everything hasn’t been swapped out as you suggest, the truck drives great and the compliance plate tells me that it is a real 4x2 truck , itching to get it home and start tidying it up and hopefully some club registration when I’ve done whatever jobs it needs ! Thanks hayseed I just downloaded the app!

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Sarge.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199551 by Rattail 1927

[attachment:1]D138842B-C639-48C5

-8880-5C8CE79D5FFE.jpeg[/attachment]
Hi everyone, got the truck running and as well as changing all fluids ( with no shiny bits of metal (relief) , in thinking about a air to water after cooler from a NTC 350 , not sure if it will make any difference and MAYBE (not forsure ) , I know some of you guys have played with swapping atchanging things
Any help truly heleful thanks Jim!!
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Rattail 1927.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #202169 by Rattail 1927
Hi after months of investigation I finally out power and torque are for NTC230 SC Cummins was
It’s a 230 @ 2100 revs , and 805 foot pounds of Torque @1500 revs , not a big deal now but in 1981 would have been a medium horsepower truck back then especially being single drive the bogie losses witch is around 40-50 in power , some of witch because of lighter axle weights( mine was only 32000 gross so there might have been light enough to keep up with some of the 350’s in the day ( or not ! ) .some of the info was gathered from international product literature , and some on old
Timers that drove them , praised the job they done at the time , Jim
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: Further information found
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
4 years 9 months ago #202213 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic NTC 230 Cummins specs ??
owners used to reckon the motors could reliably be upped to 270hp without piston cooling.....Im pretty sure the highest NA output was 270,although 250 was the common one......Some of the higher output motors also had a longer camshaft with an extra front bearing.Didnt stop bearing fails tho.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204679 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic NTC 230 Cummins specs ??
When I first lobbed in Vic. snared a job driving an ACCO 8 wheeler with the NTC230, 9 speed R/R,was originally going to be set up towing a 3 axle pig trailer, when required. Big heavy body on it, would have been right up on max allowable weight as a rigid, but only doing city/metro delivery.
Performance would be kindest described as adequate, wouldn't have wanted to be doing overnighters to Sydney.
Bloke who owned it often lamented the fact that he maybe should have gone for a 270 Custom Torque or 290 Hi-Torque, but Inters talked him into going for the "economy" engine.Had a relatively trouble free run out of it, until job dictated that P/M and trlr would be used, so was traded in on an S line.
Only other one was again in an 8 wheeler, KW, again around city. I suppose it would have been called a "poverty pack", where you got what you paid for, the basic, entry line price wise.
Owner got a raesonably trouble free run out of that as well.
Maybe like a lot of cases, owner/operator tended to mostly nurse them along a bit.
My two bobs worth.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #204682 by Rattail 1927
one Good thing is as far as I know I won’t be carting any time sooner or later lol .
It has more than enough acceleration for me, plenty, I’ve got them club plates, I used to say I’ve got to get it registered on club plates so I can go for a burn once a week.... I’ve been out once and just bought a 4x4 610A acco which needs some love , it’s just different from a typical cab over and running a petrol deep throaty burble, I drove it home last week and every town We came through just stared at it , nothing out of place it’s just different, as soon as I seen it I had to have it !

Inserted.......
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds