Skip to main content

turbo oil drain can

More
5 years 1 month ago #199608 by John Whale
Hello all i have ud that has a cable engine stop. time and time i ask the driver to let it idle for a couple of minutes to let the turbo cool down. i am not sure he is, short of fitting a turbo timer which would require solenoids brackets etc etc .i seem to remember a can set up that would drain oil back into the turbo after shutdown or does someone have an alternative cheers whale

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199609 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic turbo oil drain can
Dont think that would make any difference......the idea of idling is to cool the exhaust end so excessive heat doesnt flow along the shaft and carbonize the oil in the bearings.and seal rings.......you might be providing even more oil to carbonize.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199612 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic turbo oil drain can
The oil pressure inside the cartridge is very low. It is almost a froth. That's why the drain pipe is so big.

Fitting a tank might be worse, because it will need to fill when cold and the bearings will be dry.

I'd fit a pryo to measure EGT's. Better and give you an indication of temps when driving too.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199615 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic turbo oil drain can
Shutdown timer ...or another driver.........seems to be the answer.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 1 month ago #199627 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic turbo oil drain can
Timer may be fiddly to install but it will save a lot of grief and money.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 1 month ago #199629 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic turbo oil drain can
gr8 believer in

if aint broke dun fix it

If the beast relly needed a turbo timer etc
it woulda cum from the factory already fitted

but common sense sez:
If U bin hard labore n the beast ...... jist idle it down
do sum book work or check the tyres B 4 shut down
Our depot is @ the bottom of a hill n hi idle n around to park the beast we jist hit the kill button
n near on 60 years no problems with turboz

jist my 2c worth .... tax free 2day

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 1 month ago #199631 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic turbo oil drain can
In an earlier life I ran the workshop for a fairly major bus company and we had a few drivers who thought they knew more than they really did. They would insist on leaving the buses, Leyland and Scanias, idling for up to ten minutes before shut down, to "save the turbos". No amount of education would change their minds.

I was lucky enough to have a representative from Garrett Air Research turbos visit one time and I had him speak to all the drivers. He maintained that as the depot was in the middle of a 60 k zone and the buses had been loafing on their way back to the depot for about 5-10 minutes. it was absolute stupidity to think they were doing anything else other than waste fuel by letting them sit there. They figure that the rep was smarter than me and believed him. End of problem.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199632 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic turbo oil drain can
He might be right.

We were always religious in cooling time for turboprop aircraft and a two minute rule to stabilise the turbine blade temperatures. Shock cooling by just shutting an engine down after a period of high power was absolutely proven to crack blades.

But, as the Garrett man said about the buses, we could count the two minute time in the taxi period provided we did not go over High Idle. Even a 3 second burst of power, to swing the aircraft, above high idle resulted in the 2 minute clock starting from scratch.

Lang

More
5 years 1 month ago #199638 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic turbo oil drain can
The last tractor I drove sea to shining sea was a 2013 Freightliner, 600 HP Detroit, 18 speed autoshift, all the mod cons. One of the bells and whistles was a shutdown timer. Just pull in off the road, find a slot, shut the switch off, take the key out and get out and lock the door. Engine chirps along at high idle. When the EGT, the coolant temperature and the oil temperature were all down where Detroit thought they ought to be, the engine stops. Middle of the summer, New Mexico or Arizona, sometimes it would take ten minues, in the winter, ten below with the wind blowing, you wouldn't get a hundred feet away from the truck and she'd shut down. The nicest thing about that timer, when the cab got just so hot, or cold, it fired up the APU and turned on the AC or the heater. A little computer control goes a long way, but that was one useful item.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199642 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic turbo oil drain can
In my previous life I sold and also use to fit solid rubber tyres to forklifts n under ground mining equipment. One of my customers was an aluminium smelter and the forklifts used to stop dead when they got too close or stayed too long near the smelter itself as they had temperature switches fitted to the engine temp.
Forklift drivers solution was to use super glue to stop the button tripping. Then engines started failing and then they were in deep doggy doo for glueing the switches.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds