Skip to main content

New trucks with EGR

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #81619 by rockcrawler31
Those of us with landcruiser TD engines regularly blank off the EGR. I pulled the intake manifold off my 1HDFTE and there was half an inch of crud in there. So not only is that crap going into your intake charge but your causing a restriction. We blank off our egr by blocking the vacuum actuator valve with a small ball bearing. That way the computer still thinks it's recirculating, there's no fault codes and it impossible for the DOT to tell what's been done. Food for thought

I've got the truck

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #81620 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
I know EGR on cars ran into all sorts of problems when they first brought it out. ( mid 70s ) SCR seems like a better solution ( pardon the pun ) but there is still the environmental impact of transport and distribution ie what to do with all those empty containers?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #81621 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: New trucks with EGR
Petrol and diesel engine EGR systems work on the same principles but are far more effective in a diesel due to the chemistry. In is simplest form, EGR is basically displacing oxygen and nitrogen so the combustion process cannot produce as many undesirable chemicals. The process in a diesel engine works better as they run incredibly lean and won't mind recycling a little exhaust, where as a petrol doesn't have as much room to move in the mixture department.

John Deere's new engines meet the Tier 4 regulations by using twin turbo's, with one turbo feeding the other and their DPF system works by burning diesel in the exhaust stream. There's no Ad-Blue to fill up and the ECU takes care of the cleaning cycle by running it whenever a good opportunity exists, and there's no de-rating or anything like that. The service intervals are at 5000hrs, so that's only two DPF system services in the life of the tractor.

The engines cost a lot more initially to manufacture but the running costs are considerably less as there's no added running costs other than fuel, oil and filters.

More
10 years 1 week ago #81622 by Mick themungrel
We are running 3 trucks with Adblue . 2011 Mack Trident with a MP8 535hp , 2012 FH 540 Volvo and 2013 FH540 Volvo . We have had no trouble at all with them . We buy Adblue in the 1000l tanks . Fuel usage is less than the pre Adblue engines but comes up about the same cost with the cost of the Adblue .

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds