Skip to main content

Big Detroit

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #142522 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Big Detroit
Well I asked my boss the question, and the answer was a big fat "Maybe, that's above my head, you'll have to ask the Chief Engineer."

It turns out they will want to keep the alternator part, in case they ever decide to reinstate the system, but as far as the company is concerned, they can't get parts for the engine so it's no good.

I personally would not recommend that anyone put any Jeff or Bon Ami down any air intake, it is an abrasive and you may as well just throw in a heap of sand. I think the smoke from this engine is caused by leaking turbo's and maybe a dead cylinder or two. I reckon any engine run at full power after two seconds is allowed to smoke a little.

The generator is designed to supply power to the whole factory, (and once upon a time, most of the town) when the steam turbine alternators trip and shut down, so in all reality, when the generator is running, its at full power.

The cooling system for this one is a heat exchanger, the cool water actually comes from the tank that supplies the factory water needs. If I do get it, I will have to find a radiator, or several.

So now I will have to chase down the chief and ask him what they're doing with it. This could prove difficult, keep your fingers crossed for me...
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by dieseldog.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #142523 by wreckerpat
Replied by wreckerpat on topic Re: Big Detroit
DD,...Wow man, I thought I had a collecting addiction, seems I'm not that bad (or good) afterall... ;D

Will be interesting, hope it all turns out for you, can sit in the shed next to the harvester.

cheers Pat

More
9 years 11 months ago #142524 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
DieselDog, best of luck. I bought a box of Detroit bearings once. Turns out they were not 71 series, but ex-army cam bearings for a 149 engine. Let me know how many your engine needs, assuming you get it and would need them one day. Free. Just a postage bag cost to post up to you.
Great to have big engines. Mine are 12V71 Detroits, and Deutz V10 and V8. Good luck.

Kind Regards

More
9 years 11 months ago #142525 by dieseldog
Scotsman, thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. I still haven't seen the chief yet, just have to wait for the right opportunity.

Pat, you haven't got anything on me, I'll collect anything old and rusty. You know you have a problem when you have to store your gear in other peoples sheds. The only thing now is I need a truck to cart it all around. You don't know of anyone with a cheap Kenworth, do you?

More
9 years 11 months ago #142526 by RB892
Replied by RB892 on topic Re: Big Detroit
Hey Dieseldog, there is a K100 advertised in Qld c-life for 9,350 400C and 9 sp Ph 0427256300 Cheers Tom

More
9 years 11 months ago #142527 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: Big Detroit
Could be a bit heavy over the front axle

More
9 years 11 months ago #142528 by RB892
Replied by RB892 on topic Re: Big Detroit
You,d have to put it at the back like a v-dub

More
9 years 11 months ago #142529 by dieseldog
RB892, I saw that but I'm really after something with a screamer, mid 60's to late 70's....

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds