Skip to main content

Leyland 600 and 680

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #144194 by Neil
Replied by Neil on topic Re: Leyland 600 and 680

Some of the pumps had seperate oil in the governor too. If you remove what looks like a mushroom head on both the pump and the governor, you will find a dipstick attached. Normal engine oil is OK to use. As Indianman says, the little banjo fitting is fitted to the injection pump body to drain off any excess that results from fuel leaking from the pump elements. Make sure the drain is not blocked.

That was some good advise blokes, I cleared that drain which looked un blocked anyway. I pulled the front mushroom dipstick and no oil on the stick, added a little new oil until it showed. Removed the rear one (governor ) and it had just the tip touching oil so I added a little there also, now both sticks are on the full mark.
Very much appreciated men and thanks, I learn something every day.
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Neil.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #144195 by Neil
I have another problem starting on the 600. Nothing bad as yet but guessing it needs fixing soon. Started bubbling up in the radiator so guessing its done a head gasket or head, it also has got some blow by but not using oil and has plenty of power. Still starting easy, runs well but I need to keep the radiator cap on 1st step so it pushes out some water / coolant into a bucket in which I can refill when stopped.
I do have a full rebuild kit including gaskets and I have spare heads from the old 680.
Suggestion's appreciated, thanks Neil

More
9 years 7 months ago #144196 by Neil
well the old 600 is in intensive care, she has the heads away being shaved, injectors being cleaned.
She never stopped but got sick and was hard to start, the man working on her said he has replaced 2 sleeves (from water) and re rung those pistons as 1 had broken rings and the other had a stuck ring.
After that lot is done I hope she will go for years and years again, she is a tough old motor to keep going with its problems it has had for a long time.

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds