Skip to main content

Young and into old tractors

More
9 years 9 months ago #146505 by Andrew E
G day Its Andrew I'm 14yr old from coleambally

I'm collecting john deere and field Marshall tractors
If any one know of or has any jd's or fm's for sale at good price would be interested
[img][/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #146506 by Roderick Smith
We have had threads from other young members.
One collects tractors (location forgotten), and I would have to search for the post.
One restores trucks (Stawell, Vic.).
One does up old utes (Red Cliffs?, Vic.).
I can't help with obtaining old equipment; you seem to have picked a large size, but perhaps that is no harder than small. Most of my rallies are at Wentworth (NSW), with Fergie greys dominating (for a reason), but with a sprinkling of other makes.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
9 years 9 months ago #146507 by Morris
Hello Andrew, welcome to the forum. You may not get many offers of tractors but keep looking at the "Tractors and other stuff" and at the "trucks for sale" it is not only trucks that are listed there. Just be patient, ask questions and wait for answers. Don't give up if we appear not to be interested, it is just that these things sometimes take a long time.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146508 by MasseyHarris55
I'm a younger member too it can take a while to find the one you want but you will find it one day it took me the best part of 25 years to find my old wallis tractor I've collected a few on the way mind

Fixing things one big shifter at a time

More
9 years 9 months ago #146509 by Roderick Smith
Andrew may well have found this one already:
< www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts....=young-collectors> ;

Roderick B Smith

More
9 years 9 months ago #146510 by bparo
If you're into old tractors try The Old Machinery Magazine ( www.tomm.com.au ).
They are an Australian Magazine specializing in old machinery including tractors and lots of helpful articles. You may find it in some news agencies but if you subscribe you can put an ad in for free.

They are the older sister of Vintage Trucks and Commercials magazine and both support the respective hobby movements.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 9 months ago #146511 by Roderick Smith
Found. I posted to yahoo transportdownunder, but seem not to have posted to HCVC. The link has lapsed, so you won't see the photos.

Roderick B Smith

Elson's passion for tractors
1.7.11. Lovingly restored: Thomas Elson's Massey Ferguson 1957 FE35 tractor, which he displayed at Tasmania's Agfest Field Days in May.
The way 18-year-old Thomas Elson sees it, he is both a preserver and an appreciator of old tractors.
The apprentice diesel mechanic from Barrington, in northern Tasmania, restores the older tractor models to working condition to prevent them from being consigned to a scrap metal yard.
"I have saved a lot of stuff from going to the scrap," he said.
"My theory is that it is better to restore it rather than see it return as a tin can from China.
"I am trying to save as much of the heritage of the tractors as possible."
Thomas is certainly doing his bit for the cause: he may be fresh out of high school, but he has already amassed a collection of 40 tractors - the oldest dating back to 1929 and the most recent being a 1970 model.
Fergusons fight for pride of place in Thomas's shed with Farmall, Howard, David Brown and Fordson tractors.
But every committed restorer must have a favourite and in Thomas' case it's his Massey Ferguson 1957 FE35 tractor, which he displayed at Tasmania's Agfest Field Days in May.
Thomas immediately fell in love with the tractor when he bought it about a year ago.
He stripped the tractor down, sandblasted it, fixed the injector pump and steering, rewired it and gave it a fresh lick of paint.
"I have also put a lot more time and effort into restoring that one," he said.
"It is the tractor I have always wanted to own."
Thomas cannot remember a time when he wasn't clamouring to climb on to a tractor.
His parents run a 14ha flower farm which has provided him with plenty of opportunities to indulge his passion.
"When I was little I was fascinated by excavators and earthmoving equipment," he said.
"Then the tractors came in later. It's a passion I can't really explain."
Thomas climbed on his first tractor when he was just eight years old.
"I used to sit on Dad's knee a lot of the time," he said.
"I remember being terrified when I first drove them myself, and I was so little I had to sit right on the edge of the seat to reach the pedals."
Thomas began seriously collecting tractors at 10 years old when his parents bought him a grey 1959 TE20 Ferguson.
"On the day of my birthday, Dad asked me to come outside and he lifted the roller door of the garage and there was the tractor," he said.
"He had restored it perfectly and it was freshly painted."
"I was absolutely speechless. I literally couldn't speak I was so excited."
It was the first of many tractors to come, with Thomas's parents pitching in where they could to help him build on his collection.
Thomas has so far avoided the trap many enthusiasts fall into of cosseting their beloved machinery away in a shed.
He regularly uses the tractors on the family farm, and takes them on tractor pulls with the Historical Machinery Club of Tasmania.
"People are starting to see the value in the old tractors, and preserving their heritage, which is a great thing, " he said.
( www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2011/0.../350981_machine.html )

More
9 years 9 months ago #146512 by Andrew E
Does anyone know we're I can get john deere model D parts?

More
9 years 9 months ago #146513 by dieseldog
Try Deere themselves. The have a listing on JDParts, Document # PC658 and PC659.

jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u9....HomePageServlet_Alt

Click on the link, type "D" into the model number search and scroll down to numbers 658 and 659.

When you go to the dealer and you get a strange look and they tell you that they can't get parts, tell them to wipe their chin off and look harder. Deere still supplies most parts for most models and they pride themselves on this.

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds