Skip to main content

old airplanes out on the farm

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #164579 by defective
...righto .. this may drag a few more old relics out from obscurity....

....what old airplane, parts, engines, bits, etc are still laying around out there?...I know the whole of Australia has been fairly picked clean of this sort of stuff, but I've always found the story of the dusty old aeroplane in the shed (or paddock) makes for fascinating reading....you just don't know what's still laying around, and some of that stuff could still be worth a decent dollar......???

...ol' mate Billy the car wrecker has a pair of CAC Sabre drop tanks hanging up in his shed....God only knows where they come from LOL !!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165517 by Desotodav
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI saw an email recently showing a fella called 'oldplane55' selling his old 74 Old's on Ebay... .Has appears to have a few old planes in his back yard (check out the background of other pics on the above Ebay link). Shows his phone number in Victoria.
The following user(s) said Thank You: defective

More
8 years 4 months ago #165543 by oldgmc
That's not a plane it's a helicopter

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 4 months ago #165559 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic old airplanes out on the farm
Defective, during the 1960's they had a regular Auction Sale at Cannon Hill in Brisbane where they sold all old Defence Department surplus items from old boots and clothes to all the old spares from the Army, Navy and Airforce. A lot of items like the fuel tanks were put up under the general heading of "Scrap Metal". A lot of machinery like International 190 dump trucks and the old WW2 Army Ducks (dukw) went through that auction centre. Once when I was there a complete Sabre Jet engine was sold as scrap for about $100. At one stage there were a lot of Commer parts went through from the RAAF. They sent out a Catalogue each month if you were on the mailing list. - Kav.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165611 by Desotodav
Strange, as he seems to have a helicopter there as well.
Check the 5th photo from that Ebay link as I counted 4 light planes in the background.

More
8 years 4 months ago #165616 by defective
...Thanks Desotodav .. I was thinking of something older....like a Spitfire, or a Mustang, or one of those types of things no-one really wants :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: !!!!

More
8 years 4 months ago #165654 by oldgmc
I stand corrected, we used have Department of supply Auctions at Tottenham in Melbourne and Bandiana near Albury from right after the 2nd world war I think right into the 1970's my Dad got the catalogues monthly, lines of Humber and Studebaker army trucks and pmg vehicles and general stores anything you could think of

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 4 months ago #165695 by ChainDrive
I found a supercharger for a rolls-royce merlin engine a couple of years ago. I think they were used on both Spitfire and Mosquito aircraft. I just need to find a merlin engine now!!!

More
8 years 4 months ago #165698 by Morris
Hey Chaindrive,

When you find the Merlin engine, all you will need is the rest of the airplane! :woohoo:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
8 years 4 months ago #165708 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic old airplanes out on the farm
Nah, he wont want a plane, he will find an Atkinson and plant it in that.... Dont remember the details any more but was told years ago about a chap who ran interstate in an Atkinson with a rolls merlin motor... someone here will know the story. :blink:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds