4 years 8 months ago #202688 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Looks great.

A credit to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202705 by 180wannabe
Absolutely first class Cobba! I have enjoyed following your restoration, thank you for sharing it.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202708 by cobbadog
Thank you to all who have replied and making such positive comments on my restoration. I have learnt a lot along the way and found that my panel beating skills need a lot of work to improve them but the paint I used did not spray as well as another brand I used in the past and has been diappointing to me. Now I dont want to be a bad sport and totally blame the product the bloke squirting it on may be the biggest proble but I did not alter how I sprayed and I was totally anal about the correct mixing ratios and blending the hardener and thinners together, b ut it is what it is and I am happy that it certainly looks a lot better than it did a year ago.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202722 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Neat job on a great tractor Cobba.
Heard of using a soft lead round sinker or two in old fuel tanks
to pick up foreign bodies and deal with minor rusting. Not sure
how it works and may not be politically correct these days.
Keep up the good work, Paul.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202725 by cobbadog
Would putting a lead sinker in the tank would put lead back into the fuel? :blink:
Well today I made up a vaccuum cleaner with some pvc pipe and made a hole in it and stuffed an air blower inside. This cleaned out most of the stuff but still very hard to get it all out. So before putting the 2 short pipes back onto the tank that connect to the fuel tap I made some nice new termimesh filters and rolled them up and stuffed them into the fuel line leaving an inch above the tank bottom. So it has worked well on the smaller size part of the tank as it sat there and ran for half an hour with no issues. Switched over to the main part of the tank and after about 5 minutes it starved for fuel. Switched it back and it started up no problems. So for the Rally this weekend I will run on the back tank but when driving around this might keep the crap on the move and not block up. This will get resolved after the rally so that it can be a reliable tractor to take on treks.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202727 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Well done cobba thanks for sharing, good luck with the fuel blockages.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202728 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic ready for wet sand blasting
Beautiful job, well done. Great to see another one of these back on the 'road'.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
4 years 8 months ago #202737 by cobbadog
I won't let the bastard beat me !
It has another issue to sort out after the rally that will require some thinking about. It is the 3 point likage, it goe up and down as designed but the arms no longer go to the ground or near it they sit about 8" above.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202738 by 180wannabe
Cobba, does that model have a draft/position control for the linkage? I am only familiar with much later DB tractors, and i think the arms might go lower in the draft setting than they do in the position setting. Just a suggestion.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202781 by cobbadog
gday 180,
no there is no draftvposition on this model. It is either up or down or position the lever in a position that holds it in the up position but not trying to flood the lift piston with too much oil which can bypass the rings and then has to go back intp the diff via a 1/4" hole which is not big enough to cope with that much oil so then it fills up that area and leaks out past the felt dust rings and then onto the ground.
The real issue, I think, is that I swapped over the cross shaft and one of the mounting blocks from a super cropmaster. I could not test the job as the tractor was stripped for retoration then I sold the super cropmaster with my original parts and then found out from a field service man that the cross shafts are made to fit each tractor. I thought differently at the time as the parts bolted straight up but now I think I am going to be eating my thoughts. I have a very cunning plan to try and resolve this issue and I will do this in a new thread I think along with the fuel tank problems.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds