Skip to main content

Galion Grader 104

More
2 years 7 months ago #226327 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Galion Grader 104
With grader hubs,they are either stuck hard ,or fall off with the keyway flogged out......i think it was Tilleys had an exchange program for rebuilt wheels ......but thats for Cats ......nothing for odd Galions....Driving them on bitumen is really hard on them ,all the wheels are tied together ,no differential ,and a sharp turn on bitumen will leave black rubber dust all over the road.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #229109 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic Galion Grader 104
Well she’s alive, and ready for the truck

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by wedgetail84.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #243990 by wedgetail84
So been chipping away and made some progress. Some of the brake cylinders were stainless sleeved, now they all are. Fitted new flexis, made new lines and she stops as good as can be expected. Getting the rad recored, fitted new water pump, hoses and thermostat. Fixed the broken drive chain, new oils, new output shaft seal. Starting to rewire it now.

Which leads me to a question - does anyone know what this servo/solenoid unit sitting on top of the clutch housing is? I think I traced one wire to a +12v feed but my apprentice didn’t follow my request to trace it before he cut the dash wires! The linkage is hooked into the clutch linkage, could it be a clutch assist? The big line comes from the trans filter, and it has a breather attached. The smaller lines loop back into itself

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by wedgetail84.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago #243995 by JOHN.K.
It may be a lockout to stop you changing gear witout disengaging the clutch

More
1 year 2 months ago #244004 by wedgetail84
Thanks John. Wasn’t aware that was a thing. If it is a lockout I won’t worry about it

More
1 year 2 months ago #244010 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Galion Grader 104
Any chance there is the colour left on any switches? Might be the only way to find out other than a schematic drawing.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #244325 by wedgetail84
Unfortunately they’re all the same colour… I might just give it power and see what happens.

But in the meantime - recored rad is in, started rewiring, put some new intake piping in.

But my main question at the moment is I circle adjustment. It’s jamming around the LH adjustment/clamp/hanger when turning. Not sure if it’s got too much clearance or it’s all to rough. Turns better in one direction. Does anyone have some general tips for adjusting circle clearance? I have the full service manual but it doesn’t mention the circle

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by wedgetail84.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago #244335 by JOHN.K.
Be sure the circle load isnt taken by the gear ,if the drive is at the front.....Personally ,Id pull the circle drive gearbox apart and see whats what ..... the worm and wheel bearings take a pounding ........you can generally reposition the worm wheel to a less worn spot...........there s bound to be uneven wear in the circle ,but try to get the gear mesh set right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 2 months ago #244340 by wedgetail84
Thanks John. That was actually one of the first things I did as it was seized solid. I was surprised how ok it all looking in there - big alloy gear and although there was some condensation it was in reasonable order. I got it moving 360 now although it’s still slow in some spots, will keep at it once I get a 2 1/16” socket.

But now I have a more pressing problem - it slips out of 1st when under load. Ok on light skims but once properly working it spits it out. Gear stick is free and clear, feels like it goes home. It has a side cover with I guess selectors I can pull off but not sure what I’m looking for - are there common causes of dropping out apart from week detent springs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 2 months ago #244343 by JOHN.K.
Look in your parts book.........its likely its a straight tooth crash gear,and its backed off on one side ........if its a shifter clutch type gear (like a roadranger) then likely the clutch teeth can be back ground to hold it in gear. ......
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wedgetail84

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds