Skip to main content

Fiat 411R Help

More
11 years 1 month ago #112227 by Bitsa
Fiat 411R Help was created by Bitsa
G'day all
I have a Fiat 411R which has allways started easily, ran well, plenty of power,( has screwed up 2 PTO shafts when slasher got hung up). No Engine noises out of the ordinary.
I started it for the first time in 3 months yesterday, (easily). It ran for approx 5 min's with no drama's till it started to run away by itself. Would not shut down with engine stop on Injector pump.
I checked Oil filter level (normal), i checked throttle body and idle position and throttle linkages (all normal)
When it started to rev With Throttle closed, it also started to rattle a small amount and blow a bit of blue smoke at the same time.
I managed to park against a tree and dump the clutch in to gear and stop it before it self destructed.
Engine oil level spot on, no diesel in sump.
It's only an old tractor but it was given to me by an old gent who owned it since new and loved it, and it's also done a lot of work for me and if possible, i'd like to repair it and keep using it.
But if it's going to cost an arm and a leg it might have to wait for a while.
Any advice / help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Alistair

1990NKR Isuzu&&1974 D1310 4x4&&195? Chamberlain Dere Backhoe&&743B Bobcat&am

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #112228 by dodge truck
Replied by dodge truck on topic Re: Fiat 411R Help
Gday Alistar, i would think you have an injector pump/gov problem, these are suppost to have oil add from time to time and most dont know, they wear out and then you have no engine control, hope i am wrong but thats what happens, if you take the side cover off pump and its all brown and rusty looking or you may see some broken springs
good luck

More
11 years 1 month ago #112229 by Bitsa
Replied by Bitsa on topic Re: Fiat 411R Help
g'day Dodge
will check oil in pump tomorrow and see how we go from there as i go back up the top end on wednesday for work and won't be back for a month. Thanks for the advise, hopefully not a terminal problem.
Cheers
Alistair

More
11 years 1 month ago #112230 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Fiat 411R Help
Alistair, As Dodge Truck has said could be the governor, if its like the 513R undo the big plug on the rear section that has a screwdriver slot and look in there. David.

More
11 years 1 month ago #112231 by Bitsa
Thanks Dave. Will have a look atthat tomorrow as well
Cheers
Alistair

More
11 years 1 month ago #112232 by QLD Road Boss
Replied by QLD Road Boss on topic Re: Fiat 411R Help
G'day Alastair,
Hope u got the 411 sorted if not it may be similar to Same...theyre both Italian by birth.. Probably use a lot of the same parts. New a guy that had one and a young feller got on it and started it and it just kept revvin till a leg fell out of bed... What happened was this, apparently there is a split pin of some sort that holds the rack together and it fell out with a worse result that yours... May be as simple as putting a better pin in. You can get new reproduction parts from GW tractors in Wooroolin Qld as well if you are interested. By the way quick thinking with the tree..... Good luck. Neil. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

More
11 years 1 month ago #112233 by Jeembawb
Replied by Jeembawb on topic Re: Fiat 411R Help
Gidday Alistair

Good old tractor you have there.

The other guys are all along the right line. The most likely cause is that your injector pump governor diaphragm (at the back end of the pump) has deteriorated due to lack of oil (as said previously you are supposed to put a few drops of oil in from time to time to keep the diaphragm leather or rubber in good pliable condition) - easy to check as i did on my old fiat 451c dozer recently in preparation for its first startup since i got it a few months ago - take off the banjo for the vacuum pipe that goes over to the inlet butterfly /venturi (which is what controls the governor so it's worth checking it over and the vacuum pipe in case it has a leak), then take off the four screws with a very good condition flat screwdriver and carefully let the diaphragm cover out without losing the spring etc. You will soon see if the diaphragm is cactus or not. If so pull the diaphram out as far as the rack will allow (not far so have some good small tools ready and a steady hand), i like to reomove the tiny split pin that keeps the connecting rod in place (don't lose the washer - a magnet maybe handy) but i have heard of some poeple undoing the 8mm nuts that hold the other side but don't know why they do it that way. So you may need a need split pin (smallest i have is 1/16th so it must be that size).

You will find that all Bosch type A inline pumps and all the licensed copies are the same (diesel kiki / zexel etc) so quite often if you have a good diesel shop nearby that sells spares they will sell you one off the shelf for like $20. I got a couple for some of my gear (which after a bit of research happens to be bosch type A pumps or variants of) from a diesel shop in melbourne i found on the internet. Or try South Burnett Tractor parts in wooroolin (where I get all my parts for my old fiats - top blokes).

Yell out if you want part numbers or phone numbers - i reckon they is all at the front part of my brain.

Good luck

Jimbob

P.S. you have a hyster model forklift that has question marks in its model # and it's age - i guess you haven't been able to find much info on it? I thinks i have the same model with the old contnental sidevalve 6

More
11 years 1 month ago #112234 by Bitsa
G'day O.R.B and Jeembawb
Thanks for the info. At the moment i am up on Groote Eylandt for work .I had hoped to be back home in 4 weeks but it now looks like it will be 8 weeks. When i get a chance to look at it i'll let you no how it goes.
Cheers
Alistair

More
10 years 10 months ago #112235 by Jeembawb
Replied by Jeembawb on topic Re: Fiat 411R Help
Have you fixed her up yet Alistair?

More
10 years 10 months ago #112236 by Bitsa
G'day JB
I have had a look at the injector pump and there is no oil in it, so i'm guessing that the diaphragm is toast.
Have'nt gone any further as i'm still up north of the Teritory working. I do want to fix her up as she is/was a great tractor that has done a lot of work for me.
How's things going your end, all good I hope.
Cheers
Alistair

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds