Skip to main content

Ab 110

More
10 years 9 months ago #123938 by dodgemetal
Replied by dodgemetal on topic Re: Ab 110
Bummer on the tacho but thats the way it goes lol. Cripes u got stuck into it though,, makes me feel slow! Dosent help my mate got my welder at the moment, good job u doing there though, keep the pics coming we all like em!
skippy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123939 by spc383
Replied by spc383 on topic Re: Ab 110
The cowl panel on the left hand side was pretty dodgy so off we go again with the polyfan and low and behold the copper fairy's had been here before. Cut Cut etc etc.but we need a radio aerial so will bang one in as we go. When the inter came home to the hostility my mate that casually mentioned about the colour matching my house also mentioned about hanging a fox tail from the aerial. Then duly mentioned that it didn't have one. The next day after this conversation i stayed home from work to try to calm the situation down as there was a SMALL amount of friction and to prevent the old inter from being torched by my dear girl. I popped out to check the mail box and here is a bloody fox tail in a plastic bag under the windscreen wiper. This did not go down well but i was impressed. We can hang one on now.http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2377_zpsb641b831.jpg?t=1376719731
Now all this was looking half ok it was time to get into it under neath and sort out the anchors. On disassembly it was found that the left hand front wheel cylinder was siezed solid. No wonder the thing was a bit hairy under brakes. I looked and looked to no avail for new wheel cylinders but did come across some on the internet in america. They used these in some light truck dodges and b120 inters. But the cost was a bit extravagant but at least i knew they were available if mine couldn't be re sleeved. On a whim i popped into our local truck parts dealership armed with the numbers out of my parts book. No way at all was i expecting to find some. But you never know ask and ye may find.
They had bought a bit of new old stock stuff from where i had done my apprenticeship but we didn't have ab stuff and the smallest truck we had kept parts for was like a D1310. He blew the dust of his parts book and even said i had the right numbers and then said yep i will go and have a look. He came back with two boxes with interparts written on them. Are these the ones? he asked. They certainly are how much i asked. He said they retail for 88 each but seeing how it's new years eve how does a box of melbourne stubbies sound? My old prem fired right up and straight through to the bottle shop. I bet the smile he got from the beer didn't match mine from the wheel cylinders. I am not sure if that is sad but on reflection i think it ishttp://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2288_zps8641dbe8.jpg?t=1376719318http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2286_zps1c909311.jpg?t=1376719317
By this time i had got the front brakes machined the linings radius ground, new wheel bearings and new brake hoses. it was all coming along nicely. The front linings were like brand new but funny about that hey.
http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2306_zpse838426b.jpg?t=1376719319http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2307_zps41d6bb26.jpg?t=1376719607

More
10 years 9 months ago #123940 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Ab 110
Frenched Aerial, nice. Surprised you couldn't get new wheel cylinders, I got 1 new one for my Dodge.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123941 by spc383
Replied by spc383 on topic Re: Ab 110 the hos
Now the back ones. The rear hubs on the back are mounted on a taper so you need to make a puller to get it off after you take the lock ring and nut off. Holy ----ing hell were they tight on the axle. It was only when i fired the gas set up that it let go while it was under pressure. The oxy set was ten meters from the old girl it must of been scared of the threat of fire again? Any hoo the rear linings were cactus so i sent them off to be rebonded and had the drums machined. I think the guy that owned it before the guy i bought it off must of been a mechanic because everything underneath was in great nick all of the bushes king pins draglink and steering gear still feel like new. Once i git the rear wheel cylinders off i found that they had already been re sleeved. Woo hoo something wasn't fighting me.http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2381_zpsa56fc1ef.jpg?t=1376719928
New cups and seals ,clean up on the pistons and a light hone with 2000 wet and dry and we were good to go.
I love the fact that you are always learning. I am a mechanic but have not been in the trade for a while. I pressed off the old wheel bearings which were ok and went to get the new ones for the back. When i ordered them i asked about the t on the end of the part no. He said never seen it before but should be ok. They turned up and when they went on they slid off the end of the axle. I checked the axle were the bearing sits as there is a bit of a ledge but it all seemed ok. i left it for a few days in disgust and then had another look at it all again. Verniers in hand i measured the axle and then the new bearing.They were close but not close enough. I measured the old ones and here we go they are tapered. Old bitey bitey strikes again. I took them back to the bearing place and he said in his 20 odd years he had never heard of it but would chase up the same number with the t. a few days later i get a phone call, You can get them but they are 200 each. Crikey, i said the old ones weren't too bad really and he said bring the new ones in and i will give you your money back. That usually doesn't happen, i was very impressed with that kind of service and wouldn't go anywhere else. Long story short all back together again with some fresh grease in the bearings and could get the wheels back on. Moving forward again.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123942 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Ab 110
I appreciate shiny stuff as much as the next bloke, but I like this much better. These are the ones I really look at at shows and something I actually have a chance of owning.
Thanks for the effort to put up the pics.
Nice to see the little Inters are finally getting some popularity.
Cheers. ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 9 months ago #123943 by spc383
Thanks asw. I hope you enjoy my little story about my inter known as the Hos. Now that the wheel brakes are all sorted it was time to get back to the master cylinder. I wasn't keen to jeperdise safety for originality so i set about getting rid of the original single circuit m/cyl for a dual circuit one. The only criteria was it needed to keep an inch bore to retain the correct bore to stroke ratio. Some searching on the good internet gave me a list of vehicles to look at the wrecking yard. I came home with one off a 93 ish model camry. It retains the inch bore and is nearly the same bolt pattern. I got one that had 4 wheel discs because if it didn't work i could fit inline residual line pressure valves . But in my case it has worked faultlessly from the start wet or dry. I relocated the wiring for the brake light switch and put a holden switch to work off the brake pedal.
Also for all those that are searching for that elusive clutch rod rubber boot all i used was one of those small rubber concertina flanges that plumbers use to seal off small flues and stuff. I chopped the alumunium bit off and made it fit. As you can see in the photo it works not too bad and it was only a couple of bucks. I made all new brake pipes and the brake side of things was ready for a rigourous test. The information i have provided is not binding to me in any way. The next step was new tyres. As much as i liked the look of the old conventional tyres they don't cut the mustard. I bought a set of 7.50 x 16 road grippers and had them fitted up. If i can get another set of original wheels i will fatten them up and put some all terains on it but i think the ones on it now don't look too out of place.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #123944 by spc383
Disregard the sunvisor in the last pic. After all this was done the ballarat swap meet was on again. Here i was on the hunt for a badge for the ute tub, some taillights and that tacho i missed out on the year before but that item would be a long shot. Badge i found and met a really nice guy from sa, I found some tail light housings and also some more at4 dodge tail lights because in the meantime i had given up on the original ones. I went for a walk whereabouts the guy was the year before with that tacho. All year i regretted not grabbing it last year not that it really mattered but i have learnt that if you see something that you might not see again you should grab it. It maybe the last one. I walked and walked and walked and walked and finally i had covered the area and he wasn't there. Ah stuff it one more lane i thought then beer time, i walked maybe 100 meters and then bang there it was i asked the guy how much
? 5 bucks mate. sold. I said were you here last year. He says yeah i had some old inter stuff and other stuff we come here every year mate. I was very lucky to have found it. was a great day and an even better night. One of my mates had bought along a sunvisor that he had found at one of the country tips. No one had even looked at it all weekend and he was going to throw it in the skip bin. Me not wanting to waste any thing i grabbed it. Once i got home i realised it wasn't going to fit as it was 4 inches too narrow. Out comes my trusty grinder and tape measure and chop chop etc and then oxy weld it up so i could have a go at metal finishing it.Here is how it came up.http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2370_zps7b65855d.jpg?t=1376719699http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2372_zpse3845689.jpg?t=1376719656http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r773/clarkv83/DSCF2374_zps1f00034b.jpg?t=1376719654
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by bigcam.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123945 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Ab 110
Hi Clarky, I fixed up a couple of your pictures and tidied it up a bit.
Just check you have the img and /img in the [ ] at both ends of the link address.
The ones not working had them at one end or an extra one.
Your going well, it usually takes someone not used to the picture thing a little while to get it happening.

I'm enjoying your story.

More
10 years 9 months ago #123946 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Ab 110
well what a great read you are a pretty handy fella with the grinder and welder the old girl is looking the part thats for sure you should be proud [smiley=thumbsup.gif] 8-)
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 9 months ago #123947 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: Ab 110
Dear Spc383
makes me pine for my AB120 you've done a really good job
brings back memories of my resto

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds