Skip to main content

Dodge 1950s ute/pickup

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147937 by Andrew Gibb
Hi Chaps,

I am looking to get new tyres for the Dodge. Four are 6.50-16 and one is 7.00-16. Am I to guess 6.50-16 is the correct size?

Any recommendations for a source of new cross-ply tyres?

Thanks. Andrew.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147938 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Dodge 1950s ute/pickup

Hi Chaps,

I am looking to get new tyres for the Dodge. Four are 6.50-16 and one is 7.00-16. Am I to guess 6.50-16 is the correct size?

Any recommendations for a source of new cross-ply tyres?

Thanks. Andrew.

Hi Andrew - try your local tyre company first, but if nothing then Antique Tyres will have them.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147939 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Re: Dodge 1950s ute/pickup
Hi Andrew,
I am a learner to the site but have been reading it for a fair time.
I have not met Swishy yet but totally agree with him- drive it for a while and ENJOY
(ps Keep putting photos up)
Fill

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147940 by JimmyC
Replied by JimmyC on topic Re: Dodge 1950s ute/pickup
G'day Fellas,
In relation to the rat smell- I have had good success using concentrated clothes washing powder mixed with water. (use good quality brand- with enzyme- as this is what neutralizes the odour) Apply with a trigger spray bottle.
Downside is the white residue when it dries. Also can't guarantee it's not corrosive......probably not good if it gets wet either :-/
Best of luck with the project,
Jim.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147941 by Old Yella
G'day Andrew, great ute, great save. Re the rodent smell, new seat and floor mats will get rid of a lot of it...plenty of hot soapy water, airflow and time will get the rest. Had a rodent die in an inaccessable spot in my '63 Galaxie, not very pleasant for a few months but time, airflow and air fresheners finally overcame the issue. Cheers, Paul.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #147942 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: Dodge 1950s ute/pickup
Regarding tyres, I went to 750/16 on my International. They are still a fairly common light truck size tyre.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
9 years 1 week ago #147943 by Desotodav
I emailed you earlier on Andrew, but I thought that others here might learn from my experience in tyre searching so have included the info here...

I found that my tyre options are very limited as I have factory (1954) 4 inch x 16 inch 5 stud pattern rims, and I'm trying to avoid fitting 'light truck' tyres as I want a more comfortable ride, and it is highly unlikely that I will be carrying any heavy load in the 53 coupe truck!
I found that my best option appears to be the Excelsior bias-ply 6.50/16 tire at $209 each + $25 per tube. My narrow rims proved an issue as most radial tyres would decrease the overall diameter too much. I compared the overall diameter of the Firestone ply whitewalls which I have on the 52 truck (720mm) with the Excelsior tire (724mm) - I suppose that will account slightly on the speedometer for my diff ratio change from 4.1 to 3.54.
My other options were either Federal or Linlong brand light truck tires at $200 and $250 each, or a Falken brand 175/85/16 radial tire (used on Lada Niva's apparently and quite rare) for around $300 each.
I will place an order with Antique Tyres tomorrow and hope to have the tires within a few days. I'll sneak in a set of stainless steel 'ribbed' trim rings (at $50 each) and hopefully the wife won't notice! How's that old saying go... It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds