Skip to main content

Commer with Jap 2 stroke

9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151610 by
Replied by on topic Re: Commer with Jap 2 stroke
...hey yeah old dog .. otherwise she may have had the rear corner mounted air intakes as well eh?....

...were those intakes a diesel factory thing on a lot of these old girls ?.... :-/ :-/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151611 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Commer with Jap 2 stroke
Here is a Commer with a V8 Cummins taken by Wouldyou a few years ago in WA. Does not look too much higher in the cab than my Perkins Commer. The GM conversions certainly were very distinctive with their raised cabs.

[IMG

Here is another V8 Cummins (actually Dodge badged). I would say the cab height is unchanged from the standard Knocker/Perkins height.

[IMG

Here is the GM conversion. Very distinctive raising of the cab.

[IMG

Finally here is a UD conversion - one of Cunning Stunt's photos - this certainly has the "GM Lift" to the cab.

[IMG

Here is the standard cab height for Knockers and Perkins. Looking at this the Cummins do seem raised a bit.

[IMG
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151612 by Cunning Stunt
There's a good chance its been recabbed, I've researched them a fair bit (because I don't have a life) and for all purposes, Commer badged were 6cyl petrol, perkins or Knocker, Dodge badged were V8 petrol or V8 Cummins vale 185. The Dodges had a 2 inch block placed in the mounts to raise the cab from factory.

Langs photo of the grey GM conversion (6.53) needs a ladder to get in but my Uncle did a 4.71 conversion and actually fabricated an engine cover and left the cab in its place. My 4.53 powered one was a Dodge and still retained the 2" blocks. I've checked out plenty and the variances of mods is amazing. That V8 badge that Old Doggie pointed out was on the petrol Dodges only I believe

Some play hard to get
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Cunning Stunt.

More
9 years 5 months ago #151613 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Re: Commer with Jap 2 stroke
As well as those conversions, Big Cam found me a Commer when I was looking a couple of years ago at Prices, Dalby.

It had a V8 Perkins but the conversion was crap. Instead of lifting the cab they just cut a huge hole in the floor. Probably still there.

Lang

More
9 years 5 months ago #151614 by Cunning Stunt
Somewhere to keep your sandwiches warm ;), there were a lot of those V8 Perkins ones too. Seems that they were a good truck apart from the donk :(

Some play hard to get

More
9 years 5 months ago #151615 by hayseed
It wouldn't surprise Me, if the Drivers Door on Cro's truck Is not the original one....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #151616 by Mairjimmy
Cro, If you are after a cab for it and if this one is the same other than the dodge name it is sitting in a yard in Berrigan NSW for sale, been there quiet a while

I posted it in the trucks for sale section on here about 2 years ago and is in the middle of page 40 now , there is a phone number there

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Mairjimmy.

More
9 years 5 months ago #151617 by towie
Replied by towie on topic Re: Commer with Jap 2 stroke
ud501 5 cylinder, 2 stroke , 224 hp at 2,400 rpm, weight 1,566 ibs

More
9 years 5 months ago #151618 by cro
Replied by cro on topic Re: Commer with Jap 2 stroke
Thanks everyone on your help & comments.
Cunning, will send you a pm about the light housings.

I'm also missing air filter assy, radiator, diff & the L/H rear brake drum is seized to the pads so maybe a doner vehicle might be the way to go.

Cunning is correct in that it has been recabed after it was laid over in the early 70s. So the door possibly is from the original cab as there's no sign writing on the left door. This cab has no rust at all except in the drivers door

[IMG

I'm pulling the cab off over the weekend so will post picks of the cab mounts & call the previous owner to get the full story of what it was although he did say the original cab was newer than the replacement & that the original engine was a V8 Cummins & the truck was Commer badged.

Where do I look for a chassis number ?

Badge on the engine cover states 200hp @ 2200 rpm

Any special things I should do before I try to turn engine by hand ?

Cro

Ill think of something shortly

More
9 years 5 months ago #151619 by dieseldog

Any special things I should do before I try to turn engine by hand ?

I would recommend pulling the air filter and the air box covers on the side of the block and fogging the cylinders with WD-40 or similar before you turn the engine over as well as while your turning it. You should also prime the oil system by hooking a thumb pump full of engine oil to an oil gallery and keep pumping until you get pressure. Just keep everything spotlessly clean.

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds