Skip to main content

d5n dodge rear axles

More
8 years 10 months ago #160167 by trucksyd
gday im going through the brakes on my d5n dodge 300, i have changed the master cylinder for a reco,but the brakes dont pump up , so now i want to check each wheel cylinders.i was told with the dual rear wheels that the axle has to come out to access the wheel cylinders , has anyone pulled axles out & is it a lot of work ....thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160168 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: d5n dodge rear axles
If it's a full floating rear end yes the axles and hubs have to come off, don't take the wheels off just undo the axles and pull out the axles be careful not to damage the gasket undo the lock plate undo the outter lock nut remove the lock plate and remove the bearing nut and outter bearing keep the vehicle on jack so you can slide off the wheels and hub complete and so you don't damage the inner seal once you,ve done the other will be easy

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 10 months ago #160169 by kenny-mopar
You probably already know but adjust the brake adjusters close to all the way off ... Also sometimes the hubs are dam hard to get to slide off the shaft ( diff)

More
8 years 10 months ago #160170 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic Re: d5n dodge rear axles
thanks for your help gm & ken .

More
8 years 10 months ago #160171 by trucksyd

If it's a full floating rear end yes the axles and hubs have to come off, don't take the wheels off just undo the axles and pull out the axles be careful not to damage the gasket undo the lock plate undo the outter lock nut remove the lock plate and remove the bearing nut and outter bearing keep the vehicle on jack so you can slide off the wheels and hub complete and so you don't damage the inner seal once you,ve done the other will be easy

i was told that with the axle seals , it may be a good idea to replace these , if so are these seals still available?

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #160172 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: d5n dodge rear axles
Most seals are available if you have a bearing supply shop in your area they shouldn't be a problem just a matter of removing them fairly intact so they can be measured most have the size embossed on them

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by oldgmc.

More
8 years 10 months ago #160173 by indianman
Replied by indianman on topic Re: d5n dodge rear axles
G'day Syd did you bleed the master cyl before you fitted it? If not pull the m/cyl off and pump it up on the bench by putting your finger over the outlet and pushing the plunger in to get the air out of it first you will need to keep your finger on there as you put the cyl back in to stop the fluid coming out and fit the pipe up quick, then bleed at booster once bolted up. As for the seals I would not pull a wheel of and refit without replacing seal,
i'm too lazy to do it again ::) ::).

Jon

More
8 years 10 months ago #160174 by trucksyd

Most seals are available if you have a bearing supply shop in your area they shouldn't be a problem just a matter of removing them fairly intact so they can be measured most have the size embossed on them

yes i have a bearing shop down the road .so i will take it with me to get replacements ...thanks again

More
8 years 10 months ago #160175 by trucksyd

G'day Syd did you bleed the master cyl before you fitted it? If not pull the m/cyl off and pump it up on the bench by putting your finger over the outlet and pushing the plunger in to get the air out of it first you will need to keep your finger on there as you put the cyl back in to stop the fluid coming out and fit the pipe up quick, then bleed at booster once bolted up. As for the seals I would not pull a wheel of and refit without replacing seal,
i'm too lazy to do it again ::) ::).

ok thanks indian , i will double check to see if all air is out

Jon

More
8 years 2 months ago #166827 by Alan McDonald
Hi Syd
Just reading your old post regarding Dodge 300.
I have a Dodge AT4 329 with the Dana70 Diff.
I suppose the rear axle is the same on your truck.
The Hub seal for the rear, part number 417485 is no problem,
but I can't find anyone that can help with the front hub seals.
I went to Consolidated Bearings they couldn't match them.
All I can see on the hub seal is A M 893 NO1.
Did you change the front hub seals?
Thanks for any info
Regards
Alan

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds