Skip to main content

Yeti's 51 Chev Resto thread

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168381 by The Yeti
We'll I introduced myself out in the other area but as the build has now sort of started I figured I would start a resto thread and let the intro work its way into the cosmos over time

so the truck is a 51 5ton Chev aussie cabin, it was given to me a few years ago and the plan was to leave it in my front garden to look pretty. Then I found myself needing a "Quick" project and as I had always looked at the truck an thought how cool would that be, I decided that was the base.

So here she is
[IMG

On Saturday I didn't do too much, just cleaned all the leaf mulch off and out of her from 3 and a bit years in the garden, unfortunately thats taken its toll rust wise, but I've saved worse

I then lifted her off the ground and stripped the brakes as that was a major part of her problems

all 4 rear wheel cylinders are seized to the point that they have grown together internally the LHF one is just seized and the RH Front was odd and explains why when I once tried to bleed it the fluid went straight through and on to the ground
[IMG

[IMG

(also note the fencing wire brake spring)

No big deal really I'll just have to organise some cylinders and make up a heap of lines

It will be a little while before I post up anything else as I'm tied up with work for a few weeks

But a guy dropped in yesterday that might have some parts like a few wheels and a later diff (I'm hopping has a better highway ratio than what looks like 5.4:1)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by The Yeti.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168389 by The Yeti
On the brake issue, does any one have any leads on where to buy new cylinders, I can obviously sleeve 3 of them if I have too but the drivers front is missing bits so I'll have to either get a new new one or a new second hand one

More
8 years 1 month ago #168421 by wedgetail84
yeah that's one rooted cylinder... Sleeving is great as they never rust again, will probably cost more than new aftermarket or NOS though. Can you get numbers off any of them? If so your local brake place is the place to start. Even if you don't have numbers, trying taking them in and getting them matched? Otherwise hopefully a chevy expert may reply here or they'll be heaps of info on a US forum I'm sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Yeti

More
8 years 1 month ago #168434 by The Yeti
Thanks Wedgetail84

The front's are marked Delco made in Canada on it with the number 5453781 stamped in to it the bore appears to be approx. 1 3/8”

The rears are monsters, again Delco made in Canada this time the number is 5453825 and it has 1 1/2 stamped in to the side (assuming that’s a 1 1/2" bore)

I'm not a massive fan of sleeving, Ive never had any real issues with premature failures on replacement standard cylinders, if that's my only option then thats what I'll have to do though I guess

I'll drop them down to Bert Bros over the weekend and see if they can help.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168642 by The Yeti
I've had a look at the spare diff yesterday and its a better highway ratio than whats currently in it, as I have to redo the rear springs, I'm just going to change it out drum to drum,

My question is it has a leak at the pinion seal, is the pinion pre loaded via a crush spacer in these or can I undo the Pinon nut and lift off the yoke? and change the seal out?

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168659 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Yeti's 51 Chev Resto thread
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNew ones are out there.

When getting my Bedford up and running I found parts you think are going to be hard to get are in plentiful supply when you find the right source. Usually once you have that source everything else is easier to find as well.
Check here too, just checked it out and appears everything you need is available new.
www.chevsofthe40s.com/year/1953/Truck.html
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by fjwb.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168680 by The Yeti
thanks fjwb

I tried Chev's of the 40s' they have a listing on the fronts on their website but have yet to reply to my emails regarding the rears

I've found Rockauto have listings on front and rear and are cheaper than chev's of the 40's on the fronts but no where near as cheap as your ebay link

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #168691 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Yeti's 51 Chev Resto thread
I did a pinion seal on my 52 GMC just undid the nut and removed the yoke but had the seal surface re done it would pay to check have machined and have a sleeve fitted or fit a speedy sleeve to restore the yoke I just refitted the yoke and retorqued had no problems, have you tried The Filling Station in Lebanon Oregon I deal with them through email usually reply within 12hrs and deliver in 7 days

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by oldgmc.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168701 by The Yeti
Thanks old GMC, I'll shoot them an email

They have a list for the front but not for the rears

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds