Skip to main content

345 V8 into a C1200 delivery van

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #169466 by dazzler
Hi, will an Inter 345 V8 fit easily in to a C1200, the current 281-6 is ok but I like V8 s, would it be a challenge for rego, thanks in anticipation
Steve

you blokes gotta remember the insert bit after the attach bit otherwise it dont go in.... (sound like marriage???) Sarge
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Sarge.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #169467 by oldgmc
I saw an Inter pickup with a 345 at Wangaratta a few years ago there shouldn't be any reason it won't be a problem they were options in the 1300 and up but there just as thirsty as the 281 and there only a low compression engine in the trucks, that's an interesting looking van some has gone to a lot of trouble with the side door, these are my opinions some one else may differ

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by oldgmc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dazzler

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #169481 by busman
Looks like one of the old Hodgsons service vans, they were the Yale forklift agents for Aussie for a while there when I worked for them, back in the day. I didn't last too long though, couldn't book 4 out hours a DAY to customers like some of the guys did

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by busman.

More
8 years 1 week ago #169523 by wombat 46
Not able to offer much help, but would be worth getting the engine mounts to suit your chassis,
i recently got a 6cyl diamond out of a truck to fit to my 110 ute and the mountings are completely different.
jim

More
8 years 1 week ago #169585 by 600Dodge
Just hope that the 345 is a good one because engine rebuild parts for Inter V8s are scary expensive, last time I looked into it about 10 years ago a set of pistons was $1500.

More
8 years 1 week ago #169603 by AB120
i am putting a 318 into my ab120 at the moment just about to sort out the engine mounts as I am fitting a 904 auto trans as well.
be glad to pass on any info but have just stripped truck down and cleaning chassis.
Graham
The following user(s) said Thank You: dazzler

More
8 years 1 week ago #169625 by Dave_64
AB120,
Just out of curiosity, how do you go with the authorities when changing make of engine from Inter to Dodge? I realise that you are dropping back from 345 to 318. I was told that here in Victoria, you can "downsize" your engine capacity IF you are using an engine from the same manufacturer AND it came out as an option only. otherwise you have to get an engineers report?
Seems to be a bit of confusion surrounding this type of swap, especially among the vintage/veteran ranks. I was informed by the president of one of these clubs that even the "10%" overpowering rule had been thrown out, i.e. if for arguments sake you had a vehicle with say a 200 cu inch Ford engine, you could only go to a 220 cu inch UNLESS that vehicle came off the production line with a larger Ford engine as in early Falcons and Cortinas used to have either 200 or 250's.
I have two project vehicles I have put on hold until I can clarify the situation, either one I wish to repower with a four cylinder turbo-diesel replacing a round the 250 cu inch petrol engines, (the diesel is smaller in capacity but has approximate torque figures).
When I first started tooling around with these, couple of years ago, I made verbal contact with Vic Roads and was informed that although one of the projects was running a 232 Rambler six engine, I COULD have gone to a 258 rambler and still maintained the "integrity" of the vehicle. HOWEVER, if I wanted to swap out the 6 cylinder Rambler for either a Dodge 245 HD six or the Ford 240 Canadian six, it would require an engineers report. Yet, if I wished to exchange the drum brake front end to a disc brake with booster, it was quite all right as that years vehicle came out with optional discs.
Obviously since then a whole raft of changes have come in especially for even lightly modified vehicles. Upon contacting my local Vic Roads sub branch. Again I was told verbally that when it came to modifications, Vic Roads no longer do any inspections as such and that they have out sourced it to registered private contractors/engineers.
Anyone else throw something in?
Cheers, Dave64

More
8 years 1 week ago #169632 by Gryphon
Hi,

You can start on this page and lose your way in links, rules and contradictions. :)
www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/veh...ehicle-modifications

The 'outsorced' inspections are done by VASS Inspectors that can be downloaded here, www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/fo..._location.ashx?la=en

Do some searches on the VASS inspectors across Forums etc. to help you find recommended ones as the difference can be thousands of dollars and saving a lot of unnecessary work. And have a talk with them first to make sure you are able to communicate with them about your ideas.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
8 years 1 week ago #169633 by Lang
I have been down this road a couple of times recently (had 5 USA imported Model T Fords with all sorts of non-factory, but correct period mods and an OKA which I built a motorhome body on with lots f mechanical mods)

There are a wide range of certifying engineers out there. As the blokes say above, they range from rigid rulebook people, through the rip-off merchants to the real world practical engineers.

I found the hotrod clubs the best place to ask as they need just about everything engineered and certified (much beyond their club inspector's authorisation). They have their finger on the pulse of which people are the best to go to.

My man was fantastic - practical and very reasonable. He offered lots of advice on how to add, shift or remove things to get them in under the rules but as he said, the rules can not cover every circumstance and in the end it is up to him to decide if the changes will safely do the job. What he would approve for a club vehicle he would not approve for say, a taxi. The rigid rule blokes don't think that way, it's either in or out one rule for everyone!.

Shop around!

Lang

More
8 years 1 week ago #169637 by Mrsmackpaul
I have only ever engaged the services of a engineer for these type of things once he charged me $1500.00 bucks up front and sent me a print out of a piece of paper that what I already
I was only trying to get a ex army regoed and it was only 10 ton or some such thing but it was a prime mover this clown just printed out the army specs there go Paul ,your kidding me but no that was it
In the end I regoed the truck wrote the correct weight on the side and never had a problem and have never worried about any of it since
I think things have changed a lot since then as the sugar cane trucks all have the blue plates on them and so do a lot of other things I see so it must be a lot easier these days

paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds