Skip to main content

How to build tray

More
7 years 11 months ago #170843 by trucksyd
How to build tray was created by trucksyd
G'day , I'm just wondering has anyone built a tray 13ft , for light truck ,dodge dual wheels ,I know u need a pair of railway sleeper timber both sides of chassis , u bolts (who sells them?)what type of steel!/timber..?.I read a post on here previously & someone said the tray has to flex etc ...it will only be light duties & I want to try & make it light ..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #170844 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic How to build tray
I am sure there are plenty of blokes with good advice but have you considered buying a second hand one from a wrecker (or Gumtree). I have bought a couple over the years and I think you will get a professionally built tray to fit - with all the attach fittings and probably lights - for far, far less than you can build one with all the stuffing around.

Then again, maybe you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself. In that case good on you, go for it.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
7 years 11 months ago #170852 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic How to build tray
your right the tray has gotta flex a fair bit
most people building trays for older trucks like wood floors
the wood that runs between the chassis and the tray isnt think maybe 3 x 1 at the most some will tell you you arent allowed to use wood and U bolts no more but less than 12 months ago a post was put up of the rules and it still talks u bolts and wood but best to check
The wood helps with flex and gives you something easy to drill holes in with a spade bit for rivets that maybe on the flanges
1 inch think for floor boards as well is plenty dont jack them up tight as when it rains one day the wood swells and does its best to leave the tray and turns a neat job into rubbish

Keep it as lite as you can but strong enough

Langs advice I reckon is the best have a look around and see what you can find I reckon you will get something for less than a quarter of the cost of building one

good luck

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 11 months ago #170861 by Claire
Replied by Claire on topic How to build tray
Hi, I've just stripped the wooden tray off my Austin and I can tell you that the chassis bearers were 6x2", which I'm finding hard to source at a good price.
My timber man thinks he can get some 200x70mm marabu, which he will then cut down for me, but it's about $58 p/m and I need 7m + his time and maching costs, so expecting it not to be cheap.
On top of that I have ordered 60m of 140x19mm for my deck, which will be another $550, and the 6 cross members will be about $300, so all up I don't expect change out of $1300-1500 just for the supply of all my timber for the tray.
I considered using pine and even buying a steel or alloy framed tray, but as I had a complete truck at the start of the renovation I felt that I had to keep it as original as possible.
Hope that helps,

More
7 years 11 months ago #170863 by cranky crank
Replied by cranky crank on topic How to build tray
HI,
Your timber price is too dear.
I have started on a tray/cab for a truck.
For the chassis ,use Kiln dried ash F17 It is good wood at around $25 a linear meter. If you can choose the lengths you can pick ones without any knots.
The 140 x45 kda F17 that I am using on my 1927 chev truck was $13.60 a linear meter.
The stuff you were quoited on must be the top grade furniture wood.

More
7 years 11 months ago #170864 by trucksyd
Replied by trucksyd on topic How to build tray
Thanks for your help guys , oh boy building your own sounds like a lot of dough , wood ,steel etc , ... If I locate an old tray which will probably need timber replaced ..is it possible to hire a Hiab driver that would pick up tray & deliver & drop it onto my chassis?

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #170865 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic How to build tray
Just dropped in to the local truck wreckers and they have several straight trays that would suit. All except one have steel floors but are off reasonably recent trucks (under 20 years old) $500-$1,500. All truck wreckers have similar trays because nobody wants them. Any working truck has a tray that will normally last the lifetime of the unit and new buyers don't want old trays fitted to their nice new truck.

When I have bought trays like this I have taken the truck to the wrecker bare and they have just lifted it on to the chassis. You can chain it down for the trip home then jack it up to do the fine fitting work at your leisure.

Lang
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maxidyne

More
7 years 11 months ago #170866 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic How to build tray
Syd, as every one is saying a second hand tray will be the easiest & cheapest way to go.
Even If you get one too long It's not a big job to shorten It down to suit. Even if you have to shorten both ends to get the gap in the crossmembers for your Wheels to be in the right spot. Check out not only Truck wreckers but Body builders & Truck Dealers as they often have a few S/H takeoffs out the back somewhere. Plus the usual suspects Ebay/Gumtree.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 11 months ago #170875 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic How to build tray
Another option is to source timber from Demolition Yards who recycle timbers from warehouses etc.
Haven't explored the prices, but may be cheaper even with some machining costs to size & clean up?
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
7 years 11 months ago #170876 by tim
Replied by tim on topic How to build tray
TruckSyd, I went to the local Restorers Barn & got 19mm tongue & grooved secondhand hardwood flooring to do my trailer floor. Much cheaper than new stuff & it was well seasoned & straight. I was able to have a say in what I took as well. Have fun mate, it all adds to the satisfaction at the end of your project. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds