Skip to main content

HOW TO FREE SEIZED PISTONS/RINGS IN BORE

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181881 by SmallyS2
How,s it going, I've just started to enbark on a rebuild 0f a little Cummins V8 I aquired , the problem was I couldn't get it to turn over due to water getting into the cylinders, it was locked solid. Anyway this is how I broke it free, very cheap and quick!
1. Mix petrol and auto trans fluid 50/50 in and old cup
2. Cut a peice of rag the size of the piston crown and sit on piston in cylinder (close enough will do for the rag size)
3. Tip the 50/50 mix into offending cylinders , some won't take the full cup of brew, most had 3/4 of a cup
4. Light the 50/50 mix in each cylinder ( stand back, I used an oxy torch ) and let the brew burn, the rag will act as a wick and the petrol burns.
5. After about 2 stubbies you will see auto trans fluid dripping down from inside the cylinders
6. If any of the high pistons get low on brew, top up with auto trans fluid, ( I wasn't game enough to top up with 50/50 while it was burning )
7. Now you should have had about 6 stubbies and the fires in each cylinder should be out, remove remaing rag and soak up excess oil/fluid in cyliders which is HOT !
8. Now the good part, try and turn crankshaft, my engine made a crack noise and then I could do a full rotation with ease , rotated crank about 10 times , now I could fully dissassemble with no
damages/bashed parts
9. The petrol/atf mix heats up block/liner and piston, then the atf leaks past the rings and rust and she's unseized, so easy and I reckon fast.
Some of you may already know this method but I'm passing it on because I couldn't beleive how well it works and the best part is I damaged no engine components. Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181882 by Dave_64
Like that! Hafta remember that one if I run across a seized engine. Cheers.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181889 by oliver1950
Thanks,I'll try that on 2 seized tractor motors that have been under water-an old Renault and a 1937 John Deere B.

You can't have too many toys!

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #181895 by Mrsmackpaul
I tried the ATF and acetone mix on a 6 71 and all it did was run out the drains of the air box :lol: :lol: and it didnt help un seizing of the engine one little bit :oops: :oops:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #182144 by BigAl
Have always just drowned it in penetrine. Can still go in and drink the beers while you wait too :lol:

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #182152 by wedgetail84
great tip smally, well try it next time. Although after six cold ones not sure if the engine would benefit from anything I did to it...

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds